Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Best way to get from Prague to Paris Round trip - Train? Plane?

Aug 27th, 2010, 01:30 PM
Original Poster

Hi. We'll be in Prague and want to go to Paris for a few days. Is it better to fly? Train? Where is best place to get tickets and how far in advance? Thanks!
Aug 27th, 2010, 01:44 PM

EasyJet flies that route. The price varies a lot by date. I'd check your dates, compare to the train. But I'd guess it's a very long train trip.

www.easyjet.com
Aug 27th, 2010, 01:47 PM

It's a long train trip. Czech Republic doesn't have high-speed rail. You'd need to train from Prague to Munich or major train hub in Germany and then transfer to a faster train.

Fly.
Aug 27th, 2010, 01:54 PM

It looks like Smart Wings flies that route too. Again, the price varies by date, like with any airline.

I flew Paris to Prague a few years ago and I think that's the airline we used but I can't really remember. But the train was way too long and flying was the way to go.

www.smartwings.com
Aug 27th, 2010, 05:51 PM

What is "best" to you? A quick direct flight? If so, how much luggage will you have -too much for the budget airlines, or very little so as to fit into their stringent limits?

Or a 12-to-13-hour train (or bus-and-train) ride during which you can look out and watch the landscape, doze, read, put on your headphones and listen to music, stand up and walk around when needed, eat on the train and/or buy a quick snack when you have to change at various stations (there are no direct trains)?

Both methods have their advantages. Which is yours?

EasyJet flies a late flight at 21:20 that gets into CDG at 23:05 - if you can put up with EasyJet's rules and regulations then that can be an option - still gives you the entire day in Prague. For a random date of Sep 23 I see the fare as USD67.39

Then there is the 6AM flight with Smartwings, gets into CDG at 07:45 - Smartwings also has a 12:30 that arrives at 14:15 - on that random date these two cost USD78.22, and Smartwings also has a 18:45 that arrives at 20:30 for USD119.28.

If you get up very early, you can take the 06:31 train at Praha hl.n. station, the EC (EuroCity) 178, reservation required, has a restaurant car, you will change trains in Dresden, in Frankfurt Main (airport station), in Cologne, and get into Paris Nord at 18:59.

There is a bus-and-train combo - the bus 1050 (reservation required, has toilets on board) leaves from outside Praha hl.n. station at 08:37 and goes to Nürnberg where you change to an ICE train for Frankfurt Main (Hauptbahnhof) and change to the supertrain TGV 9552 (reservation required) that arrives in Paris Est at 20:53.

There is a 09:04 train, R 354, leaving from Praha hl.n. station, you will change trains in Schwandorf, in Nürnberg, and in Stuttgart, and you'll get into Paris Est at 21:49.

I can't get pricing because this trip involves three countries and their individual train systems and pricing structures. A travel agent specializing in European train travel could certainly get you a price, but it might be marked up a lot compared to what you would pay if you went to book it on your first day in Prague (not at the last minute).