Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How do we take a train from Parsburg, Germany to Prague, Czech?

Jan 31st, 2011, 08:23 AM
Original Poster

I could drive - I have heard it is only 2.5 hours from Parburg, Germany. But I would really love for my daughter and I to take the train and enjoy the trip.

I checked out Rick Steve's site - but all the options are confusing: point to point, passes etc etc. I even read that I could take a train to the border and for about $20 take the Czech train to Prague.

Train transfers are doable - but frankly they scare me. I want to know how many stops so I can figure out where to get off because the speakers are so muffled.

Ideally, we would like to leave early AM friday, spend the night, and return home durning the afternoon on Saturday.

Any tips would be wonderful - you all gave me amazing tips for Venice and we had a great time there because of you help - thank you soooooo much!
Jan 31st, 2011, 08:43 AM

I think there are fairly direct train routes to Prague from Nurnberg (or at least to somewhere), that isn't too far away. If you don't like transfers, I think you can forget it, you aren't going to a get a direct train from there to Prague.

I think you have to get to Nurnberg, and then maybe take a train to Dresden or Decin (I like trains to Dresden from Prague stop in Decin). try www.bahn.de for some reason it won't list any trains from Nurnberg to Prague, but mentions a bus. I know there are rail lines between Nurnberg and Decin.
Jan 31st, 2011, 08:46 AM

ps, when you earch, I think the name of the place is really Parsberg in Germany, so that would be whan bahn.de would want
Jan 31st, 2011, 08:48 AM

use www.bahn.com to check the train skeds. The total price is 75euros r/t
and spell Parsberg correctly or you won;t find the right train

Station/Stop Date Time Platform Products
Parsberg Fr, 04.02.11 dep 05:45 1 ag 84453 agilis
Number of bicycles conveyed limited, Behindertengerechte Ausstattung, air conditioning
Regensburg Hbf Fr, 04.02.11 arr 06:17 9
Transfer time 11 min. Adjust the transfer time
Regensburg Hbf Fr, 04.02.11 dep 06:28 4 RE 3692 Regional-Express
Number of bicycles conveyed limited
Schwandorf Fr, 04.02.11 arr 06:54 3
Transfer time 11 min. Adjust the transfer time
Schwandorf Fr, 04.02.11 dep 07:05 5 ALX 351
EX 351 alex - Länderbahn und Vogtlandbahn GmbH
Number of bicycles conveyed limited, Tickets available on board train, SnackPoint/Snacks on board the train, space for wheelchairs, vehicle-mounted accessaid, notification: 01805-512512 *, (*14 ct/Min. aus dem Festnetz, Tarif bei Mobilfunk max. 42 ct/Min.)
Runs as ALX 351 up to Domazlice, then as EX 351
Praha hl.n. Fr, 04.02.1
Jan 31st, 2011, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

brunofrance - Thank you for the example.

Am I reading this right, it start in Parsberg - transfer trains in Regensburg - transfer in Schwandorf - then it runs as ALX 351 up to Domazlice, then as EX 351 to Praha?

OK, I think it is not as crazy as I was worried it might be ... 75E round trip does not sound too bad either.

I will poke around the GE Bahn website and see if I can get more familiar with how it works Thanks for the link Christina!
Jan 31st, 2011, 09:28 AM
Original Poster

Once we get off the train in Praha - Can we walk to the Charles bridge/old town area? I read about the taxi drivers overcharging.
Jan 31st, 2011, 10:27 AM
J62

This isn't a good route to take trains on as train service through Western Czech republic isn't great and the trip will take longer than it ought to. Consider the bus from Nuremberg as an option. Bahn.de will list bus options as well as train.

You can print out a list of all intermediate stops from the bahn.de website. Counting stops on a 4 hr trek is more trouble than you should bother with.

This is the list of stops on ALX 351 from Schwandorf

Schwandorf
Roding
Cham(Oberpf)
Furth i Wald
Domazlice
Plzen hl.n.
Rokycany
Horovice
Beroun
Praha-Smichov
Praha hl.n.

The last one Praha hl.n = Praha hlavní nádraží which simply means Prague Central Station - that's the one you want.

You can certainly walk to the Charles bridge from there - i think it's about 1/2 to 2/3 mile. Prague also has an excellent tram system, and a subway that can get you long distance pretty quickly.

http://www.dpp.cz/en/

or get the map here http://www.dpp.cz/en/transport-aroun...it-schematics/

One stop on the red line then 2 stops on the green line will take you right to the heart of the old city, or you can take tram #9.

I believe Prague transit runs on an honor system - there might not be anybody checking tickets, but you may also get a random check. Be sure to buy and validate tickets for bus, tram, or subway.
Feb 1st, 2011, 11:06 PM

It's true that the train journey from Germany into the Czech Republic is not the fastest in the world, but it is a delight! The bus journey from Nuremberg to Prague is faster but it is as dull as dishwater.