Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Best way to get from Naples to Positano...

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2004, 07:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

..without spending an absolute fortune? I just called autoeurope who gave us a great price on a rental car for the Tuscany portion of our trip but they quoted me $192 plus tip for a car from Naples to Positano. Ouch, that's a little pricey. I know I can take another train to Sorrento then a bus to Positano cheaply, but that's a little too much schlepping.

Is there any alternative that's a compromise between those 2 options? Does anyone know of a transfer or car service that's more reasonable? What about a ferry or hydrofoil? Will they be running on May 24th and does anyone have any websites for me to try?

I appreciate the help, I'm beginning to think staying in Positano was a mistake. It appears it would have been faster and less expensive to stay on Capri. My hotel reservations in Positano are non-refundable though so I'm stuck.

Help!
Old May 10th, 2004, 08:13 AM

I don't think staying in Positano is a mistake at all. You should be able to get a car service from Naples to Positano for about 100 Euros. I have used Positano Car Service several times and have always been pleased. Send them an e-mail at [email protected] for a quote. Also ask your hotel for a quote. The benefit of a driver is that you will actually get a chance to see the beautiful coast on the drive down without having to drive it yourself. Ferries are good, but with baggage a bit of a pain, use them for getting around the coast after you are settled in.

Also, you don't have to tip the drivers, this is Europe after all. . .
Old May 10th, 2004, 08:17 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, 100Euros is more reasonable than 160Euros. Oh, and thanks for the tip about tips. I think 100euro inclusive is well worth it!
Old May 10th, 2004, 09:45 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
You could take a ferry from Naples to Positano.
Old May 10th, 2004, 09:49 AM
ira

Hi nina,

We used Renato Cuomo for transfer from Naples to Praiano. We were very pleased with his service.

It was about 80E each way.

www.cuomonet.it [email protected]
Old May 11th, 2004, 07:51 PM

I'm glad to see Ira's post about Renata Cuomo - after emailing different services, he made the best quote (80 Euros from Naples to Praiano),and we've reserved that for our arrival and departure. Schlepping luggage through all those transfers just seemed unnecessarily aggravating, not to mention which everyone I've "chatted" with tells me how prone to theft Naples is.