Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Best way to get from Mons, Belgium to Bayeux, France?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're staying in Mons for a night (my boyfriend was born there) and then traveling to Bayeux the next day to begin a self-guided bike tour. Is it worth the €200+ combined PREMS fare to do this by train (5 1/2 hours, transfers in Brussels and Paris)? Are there buses that would allow us to avoid the hubs? Or would it be better (possible?) to rent a car in Belgium and leave it in France? I understand there are worthwhile sights outside of Mons that are best accessed by car, so that's another consideration. Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 12:04 PM

Drive - no buses except patchwork that would take days. no sideline trains that would be much quicker.

can in a few hours be back in Belgium if save a ton on drop-off charges.

nice drive - head to coast then go along via Dunkerque - Trouville- cross bridge towards Honfleur and then Caen-Bayeux.

What sights outside Bergen are worthwhile - i'm not contradicting just curious myself.
Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 12:06 PM

There's a 8:25 departure that gets to Bayeux at 12:41 with only 1 train change in Paris (where you also change stations - but they are not far apart). That's a 4hr21min trip. I think this would be faster & less expensive than renting a car (drop-off charges)

Stu Dudley
Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 12:08 PM

any Chareloi (sp?) or Brussels flights to Caen?
Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 12:49 PM
Original Poster

@PalenQ: It might not be to everyone's taste, but I'm intrigued by Le Grand Hornu (http://www.grand-hornu.be/). Possibly you can get there without a car--I'm unclear on that.

@Stu: Thanks! I didn't see that one. Thankfully, it's much cheaper too. An hour is plenty of time to get from Gare St. Lazare to Gare du Nord, right?
Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 01:07 PM

thanks for site

Gare du Nord - follow signs for RER E - magenta station by walkway from Gare du nord Grandes Lignes main station - then direct RER E to Haussman-St-Lazare - where another passageway leads to Gare Saint-Lazare - i did this in February and if trains on time a snap. Helps to have metro ticket in hand - try buying on Thalys train in bar car - RER is like a metro line inside Paris - one ticket OK.

RER E is a futuristic RER line - automatic loading doors prevents jamming in- glass doors don't open until folks have left other side, etc.

RER E is one solid car as i remember - a large tube. May have some details wrong but a very different type ride and quick - next stop St Lazare - there are stairs you have to negotiate there as reconstruction of station is ongoing.
Old Aug 5th, 2007, 09:54 PM
Original Poster

Thanks--wouldn't have known to check out the bar car for Metro tickets on Thalys. Think they'd sell me a carnet? (We're going back to Paris after the bike tour.) Any markup?
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 01:28 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
If you have 11.10€ in change, you can quickly get a carnet out of a machine in Gare du Nord.
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 07:03 AM

The latest copy of "Paris Notes" says that you can buy a "Ticket T", which (for the first time) allows you to transfer on the buses.

Is this the same old ordinary metro ticket that can be purchased in Carnets?

Stu Dudley
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 07:15 AM

If you were to buy say a Lille to Bayeux train ticket in Lille i think it would include a transfer via metro to StLazare - but don't think this works on Thalys because of its separate fare structure but ask.
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 07:36 AM

Main line train tickets do not include metro transfers. For one thing, people with a ton of luggage would probably prefer to take a taxi.

Stu, the 'ticket T' does not allow bus transfers. The 'ticket T+' allows bus transfers. The 'ticket T' is sold on a bus, if you don't have a ticket. It costs 1.50 and is good just for that bus. The 'ticket T+' is basically a ticket from a carnet. You get the bonus of bus or tramway transfers because you thought ahead and did not bother an employee unnecessarily.
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 07:43 AM

Jack - unless this is a recent change when my son buys a Les Aubrais to CDG train ticket from SNCF he also gets a contremarque to use on the metro between Austerlitz and Gare du Nord, above which the SNCF ticket is once again valid.

Could have changed as this was a year ago.
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 07:43 AM

well i also could have gotten it wrong!
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 07:44 AM

maybe they sold him a metro ticket and included it in the ticket. anyway he did not have to buy any ticket in Paris to use metro
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 07:46 AM

Thanks kerouac

I should have read my "Paris Notes" more thoroughly, because it said the Ticket T+ is the one that allows transfers.

Just to make sure I'm understanding this correctly, if I go to a metro and ask for a carnet, will I get the Ticket T+, or do I have to specifically ask for a Ticket T+ (therefore, there are two types of carnets).

Stu Dudley
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 08:13 AM

No, apparently any ticket now sold in a carnet is a 'T+' -- the color has changed from lavender to white.

This is just hearsay and 'I-read-it-on-the-internet' since I have a Navigo pass and never buy tickets.
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 08:21 AM

about time!