Getting from Bruges to Normandy?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 10:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, this is my first post to this forum. I am looking for advice from travelers more experienced than me.

In late April and early May a friend and I have a three week trip planned--the first week in Benelux (Amsterdam and Bruges with travel by train), the second in Normandy, and the third in Paris. We have places to stay in each location. Now, I'm wondering how to get from Bruges to Normandy. I want to rent a car for the week in Normandy to explore the villages and natural areas of the region. My first plan was to rent a car in Bruges, drive to Normandy, use it for the week, drop it in Cherbourg, and take the train to Paris. The one-way drop-off charge is tremendous--$409. (The car rental for the week is $298.) Now I'm thinking about taking trains from Bruges to Cherbourg, renting a car for a week, returning the car in Cherbourg, and taking the train to Paris. I am having a difficult time sorting through the rail pass options and comparing to point to point prices. It is tough for me, a novice, to find comparable routes and classes to do an adequate comparison. What looks good to me after a night curled up with my laptop and internet resources is a France SaverPass and renting a car from Avis in Cherbourg.

Any guidance, words of wisdom, or hints would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance of some anticipated good advice.
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 11:57 AM

Go from Bruges to Calais, Lille or Boulogne sur mer by train, and then rent a car to drive down to Normandy. You will discover that trying to get to Cherbourg by train porbably takes you through Paris with a change in train stations.
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 12:05 PM

Searching the web can be fruitful but frustrating - if you'd like to talk to someone who is a European train/railpass expert call BETS - i've bought many passes thru them and they have a European Rail Answer Hotline that will answer all such questions you ask - no charge, no obligation, though they do sell railpasses i've found they give an objective view of their efficacy. (800-441-9413; ask for the excellent free European Planning and Rail Guide). You may consider the France Rail 'n Drive pass that combines days of rail travel with days of car rental and you can pick up the AVIS car at dozens and dozens of French train stations (AVIS is in the stations as they have the contract from SNCF french railways to do their Car+Train schemes), however if renting for more than a week or so a straight up car rental will be better.
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 02:02 PM

Most trains from Brugge to Normandy have to change at Paris. Cherbourg is not most convenient for train travel. But,if you don't mind picking up car from Rouen (with lovely cathedral and old town), frequent (every 30 minutes) trains from Brugge to Gent, hourly train from Gent to Lille flandres (about 1 hour). From Monday to Friday, twice a day, direct train from Lille to Rouen takes about 3 hours. Or you could take TGV from Lille to Paris (Gare du Nord, one hour), then from Paris St.Lazare (every half an hour to an hour) to Rouen (70 minutes).

It will be cheaper to buy point to point tickets than a pass.
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 04:53 PM

France in no larger than Texas. Driving from Lille to Normandy is no more than half a day's drive. I would pick up in the nearest French town possible and from there go to Normandy.
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 08:47 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the helpful thoughts and ideas. We have altered our itinerary based on the suggestions and prompts. Thanks again.