Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

best way to get from Gatwick to the continent

Jun 12th, 2002, 08:39 PM
julie

I am just about to book a really good deal on a flight from the US to Gatwick because it is about 1/2 the price of a flight to Paris. But, we want to go to the continent (France or perhaps Belgium). I've checked out Ryan air and the other carriers and that is a definite possibility although it involves getting to Stanstead from Gatwick. As I understand, there is a bus service between airports. What would be my other low cost efficient options(and ones that don't involve tons of hassle) for getting to the continent? This is pretty confusing as I know there are trains, buses and ferries. We've done tons of travelling and can handle options tht many wouldn't consider. Our plan will probably be to rent a car once we arrive on the continent. Thanks for your expertise.

Jun 12th, 2002, 08:55 PM
Tony

If there are no discount flights from Gatwick, and there probably is if you surf the net, then the cheapest, and maybe the quickest way would be train from Gatwick to Dover, and then a ferry to either Calais or Ostend.
Not the easiest as most trains involve 2 changes, but the Gatwick-Dover journey time is only a few minutes over 2 hours.

Jun 12th, 2002, 09:12 PM
John H

Julie,

EasyJet flies from Gatwick to 7 points on the Continent.

www.easyjet.com

Happy travels.

John H.

Jun 13th, 2002, 01:52 AM
kav

You could look at flights from Luton to Paris, (EasyJet has a lot of flights out of Luton) or look at flights with Go (Stansted) or Buzz.

You should be able to use transfer coaches or train/ tube between airports.

Alternatively you can book a trip on the Eurostar to Paris. Take the train and tube in from the airport to Waterloo station and then straight into the heart of Paris.

I would think that the ferry option would be the slowest and most hassle.

Kavey

Jun 13th, 2002, 07:31 PM
Gary

Pay attention....John H. said take an easyJet flight direct from Gatwick, & he's right on target. Just over an hour gets you to several good destinations.

Jun 14th, 2002, 09:42 AM
Ryn

British-European flies from Gatwick to Strasbourg and Nantes. (Also Guernsey and Jersey).

www.british-european.com

I've flown with them; their prices are good and their sack lunches are actually excellent!