best way to get around in Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13th, 2006, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be going to Paris for the first time this December and I was wondering...what is the best way to get around? Metro? Taxi?

I am staying at Hotel Muguet b/w the Eiffel Tower and the Invalides. Is it easier and cheaper to take the Metro to the hotel (for any of you who have stayed here before)? I tried emailing the hotel to ask this question, but I think with the language barrier they didn't understand what I was asking and I got an answer completely unrelated to the question!

I have heard that taking taxis can be dicey b/c they like to charge foreigners for 'extas', especially if they know you don't know what you are doing. I've also heard that the best way to see Paris is by foot. Is all this true?
Old Dec 13th, 2006, 07:22 AM

Walk / Metro / Bus / Train.

It depends on where you go

Taking a taxi everywhere is a very good way to spend a lot of money for very little effect
Old Dec 13th, 2006, 07:36 AM

<< Is it easier and cheaper to take the Metro to the hotel?>>

I assume you mean from the airport. Especially for a first time to Europe, it is easier to take a taxi to your hotel. You COULD take an RER train and multiple Metro transfers for much less $$ (especially if you have very little luggage) to reach your hotel near the Ecole Militaire stop but I think a taxi will make for a much more pleasant introduction to Europe.

HOWEVER, after you arrive at your hotel you will be able to easily walk to many of the main tourist attractions such as the Eiffel Tower, Louvre, Musee Orsay, and Notre Dame. Also, the Metro is very easy to use and will quickly get you to any place you want to visit easily and cheaply.

I would NOT take any taxis to get around Paris - only to perhaps get from and to the airport.
Old Dec 13th, 2006, 08:01 AM

Don't try using a rental car. No where to park it. Metro is good until midnight, then you may need to use the taxi.
Old Dec 13th, 2006, 08:18 AM

Or, you could do the same thing you might do if your ultimate destination were another city: ride the train into town (St-Michel station) and get a taxi to your hotel. If you're a little more adventurous and not burdened by luggage, changing lines at St-Michel to the C line to Invalides would get you somewhat closer to your hotel, therby minimizing the taxi fare.

But since you mentioned <i>cheaper</i>, then the RER/bus option might suit you better. The RER is $10. Ride to Luxembourg station and take the N&deg; 82 bus to &Eacute;cole Militaire, then walk a few dozen yards to your hotel.

Type <b>metro ecole militaire paris</b> into google, and hit [maps].
Old Dec 13th, 2006, 08:19 AM

While walking is an ideal way to explore central Paris, a tranportation pass might pay off for you. There are several kinds. The best choice depends upon both how many days you'll be in Paris and which day of the week you'll arrive and which day of the week you'll depart. What days will those be?

Are you flying into and out of CDG? How much luggage will you have?
Old Dec 13th, 2006, 08:38 AM

Another option from CDG, which is easier than the RER , the Air France or RATP bus, then a taxi from the drop-off point. I've taken many many taxis in Paris over many years and have never been taken advantage of. There is however a 5.50 Euro minimum charge, if you are not going far.

There is also good bus service around the Muget if you prefer that to the Metro for some trips.There are maps in the bus stands that give the directions and the stops.
Old Dec 13th, 2006, 08:46 AM

It's no different than any other city of that size that has the options of walking, bus or metro. A lot of it is personal preference as to which is best, and how far you like or are willing to walk. For any particular journey, it obviously depends on how far away the metro/bus stops are, how long it might take and when you want to get there (bus rides can take a lot longer depending on the route and stops), etc.
Old Dec 13th, 2006, 08:59 AM

We've spent over a month in Paris the last few years. We take the bus - it's above ground &amp; you can see the different neighborhoods/shops/markets/etc on the way to/from. The density of bus stops is greater than the density fo metro stops - so if we're walking along &amp; &quot;dragging&quot; a bit &amp; see a bus aproaching &amp; we're near a stop - we'll hop on even if we're only going a couple of blocks. Most busses don't run as late as the metro, and the metro will get you there faster in many cases. The Muget area is serviced by a bus with a good route and it's a nightime &amp; Sunday bus also (#80). Often, we'll figure out a large bus &quot;loop&quot; that weaves it's way through Paris &amp; we just look out the window &amp; see what's &quot;going on&quot; in the various areas it goes through. Buses are only practical if you have a pass (carte orange, etc)

I think the metro is depressing. We only take it in the evening returning from a restaurant we can't walk to &amp; is not serviced by a night bus. We also take the metro to the Vanves street market on Sunday.

Stu Dudley
Old Dec 13th, 2006, 09:01 AM

Forgot something. Pick up tha Metro/RER/Bus map # 2 at any metro station. They usually want to give you another map if you just ask for a map. Insist on #2, which shows the detailed bus stops. Other maps do not.

Stu Dudley
Old Dec 13th, 2006, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all your replies. You all are going to make my life a lot easier once arriving in Paris!

To answer your questions, we are arriving into CDG airport. We are arriving on a Tuesday and departing on a Friday. We will be there for three days, which I know is 'taboo', but it's what we could get. I'd rather go for a short time than not at all! We are touring other cities as well. Because of the new restrictions on liquids and the amount of time (in my experience) spent checking baggage and dealing with lost luggage, we decided to carry on. There are two of us, so we will have 2-3 carry on bags total.

Question: To make sure I understand...is the RER and the Metro the same thing? If not, what is the difference? Can I get day passes or buy rides in packages? I thought I heard something about a 10 ride pass on the metro?

One last question. I know this is a strange question, but do you all have any advice how not be the typical 'American' tourist; i.e. tips on how to not insult the Parisians? I've read books and taken several French classes, but I need real world advice. I want to make sure we enjoy our trip and that if the people are not as friendly as I hoped it's not because my lack of manners! I do know some french, enough to get around, I think, but am not fluent.
Old Dec 13th, 2006, 10:53 AM

RER and metro are not the same. The metro is like any other subway system: frequent stops, many lines. The RER is more like an &quot;express&quot;, longer distances without stops. You will buy a RER ticket for CDG to Paris (Saint-Michel/Notre Dame stop). It leaves from CDG terminal 2. The first time is kind of scary, but it's really easy. When you get to Paris, simply take the stairs to above ground and find the nearest taxi stand.

Metro tickets are sold individually or in a &quot;carnet&quot;, which is simply a pkg of 10. If you'll be riding a lot on a given day, you might want to look at the Mobilis pass. A bus ride takes one metro ticket (we prefer bus on most occasions).

As for etiquette, your little bit of French will serve you well. When entering a shop, restaurant, hotel, etc. greet the attendant with &quot;Bonjour, Madame/Monsieur&quot;. On leaving, say &quot;Merci...au revoir&quot;. That's important to them. The French generally do not talk as loudly as Americans.
Old Dec 13th, 2006, 10:58 AM

When you buy a ticket at CDG for the RER you may continue onward on the metro free of charge, just hang on to your ticket.

Within Paris you can use the RER and the metro interchangably with a standard carnet ticket.
Old Dec 13th, 2006, 11:00 AM

One way to think of RER vs. Metro is to think of RER like commuter trains and Metro as a subway train. The two systems connected at various station in central Paris so that you can easliy connect from one to the other just like you would transfer between two different subway lines. You can use an RER ticket and transfer for free to the Metro system at one of the connecting stations or vice versa if you stay with the central area.

The best way not to insult Parisians is to begin communicatins with them in French (even if's all you can say is &quot;Do you speal English?&quot; 99.9 % of the time they will recognize your accent and automatically switch to English.

Also, try to keep a neat appearance. Jeans and even athletic shoes are OK, just make an small effort to look nice.
Old Dec 13th, 2006, 11:23 AM

&gt;&gt;Jeans and even athletic shoes are OK&lt;&lt;

Just leave the ultra white shoes at home.

Stu Dudley
Old Dec 13th, 2006, 12:25 PM

They used to say that nowehere in Paris was more than a few hundred meters from a Metro stop and you'll find the coverage is quite dense.

Be aware that if you <b>call</b> a taxi from a hotel or other location the meter will start running the moment the taxi moves; not when you are actually picked up.

I don;t find the Metro as &quot;depressing&quot; as Stu does but that's obviously a personal thing.

One more point..there is nothing at all &quot;taboo&quot; about spending only a couple of days in Paris; some of us have done that more than once and for good reason and none of those reasons were any better than your own.
Old Dec 13th, 2006, 12:38 PM

Since you're there Tuesday through Friday, it might be to your advantage to acquire a 2-zone <i>Carte Orange</i> pass for &euro;16. It will provide unlimited transport for your entire stay. And allow you to jump on a bus going your way any time your feet request it!

It comes in two parts: an ID card and a ticket for the turnstiles. You will need to present a 1&quot; square ID photo (homemade digital OK) when you buy the card.
Old Dec 13th, 2006, 01:15 PM

I was going a short journey and found out that they have a minimum fare in the Paris taxis....I was a trifle scared to use the Metro as I could not quite get the grasp of it.....You see I was so used to London &quot;Tube&quot;,which is very simple to understand.....But I did get the hang of the Paris Metro,and wondered why I did not go on the very first day.....One thing that you will notice on Metro there is that occasionally you will spot people jumping over ticket machine.....Because of tight security and much more staff this would be nigh impossible in London...I also did an average of about six hours per day walking in Paris ....I can honestly say that I felt that I got a good &quot;feel&quot;of the city doing this,every day !!!!!
Old Dec 13th, 2006, 02:17 PM

eurofirsttimer, if you're like me, looking at maps of the tranportation system ahead of time helps a lot. Go to www.ratp.fr (English version) and download and print a Metro/RER map for central Paris, a RER map showing service to outlying zones (including CDG), and a zone map.

For someone who knows the system and doesn't have much luggage, taking the RER B line into the city and then tranferring to other RER lines and/or Metro lines and/or bus lines until you are close to your hotel works fine. However, you may prefer to do something simpler with fewer transfers but which still doesn't cost as much as taking a taxi directly from the airport.

You could, for example, take the Air France bus #2 from CDG to Charles de Gaulle Etoile (Arc de Triomphe) and a taxi from there to your hotel. The bus runs every 15 minutes and costs E13. Or you could take the Roissybus from CDG to Opera and a taxi from there to your hotel. The bus runs every 15 minutes and costs E8.50.

If you decide to tackle the RER and Metro all the way, then take the RER B to St-Michel Notre-Dame, the RER C to Invalides, and Metro Line 8 two stops to Ecole Militaire. One ticket (E8.10) will take you all the way so long as you don't exit the system.

A carnet of ten single tickets costs E10.90. Tickets are good anywhere the Metro goes and on the RER in zone 1. One ticket gives you unlimited transfers so long as you don't exit the system. Each bus ride requires a separate ticket.

A one-day Mobilis pass for zones 1-2 costs E5.50 and covers the Metro, RER, bus, and the Montmartre funicular.

If you decide to take the RER to CDG at the end of your visit, be aware that the RER B line divides northeast of Paris. Be sure you get on a train that is going to the airport.
Old Dec 13th, 2006, 03:20 PM

eurofirstimer:
I see that you won't have a lot of luggage. Thus it would be quite easy for you to take the RER. My first time, Fodorites posted links to airport maps, metro maps, photos and all kinds of things to make me more comfortable. Thanks to their efforts, it was a breeze. I'll never take a cab again (unless I win the lottery and arrive with magnificent new wardrobe in tow!). And it's faster since you don't run into traffic tie-ups.

I would not recommend you try to master transferring to the metro at the same time. I love coming up from the RER at St-Michel and---voila!---Paris! Take a cab from there to the hotel.

A couple more tips:
--Never throw away a ticket until you exit the RER/Metro system. Sometimes you need it to get out.
--At CDG, make sure you know your arrival and departure Terminal Number---<i> especially departure.

</i>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -