Best Way to Florence from San Gimignano

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 03:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning on a day trip to Florence from the San Gim area. Our intent is to visit Uffizi Gallery and "David" during that day trip. We will have a car, but we do not wish to fight traffic and attempt to find parking in the heart of Florence. What is the least stressful way for us to travel into Florence for the day and from where?
Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 03:44 PM

You can drive to either Certaldo or Poggibonsi to park at the station and train to Florence. Which would depend on where you started and the schedule you may want--see trenitalia.com
But, driving in from the south and going to the parking garage near the station is not bad--go early.
Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 03:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick reply btn. Is the parking garage by the train station easy to get to and locate?

We will be staying in a villa 3 km from San Gim April 10-17. We have not chosen a day yet to go into Florence - I'm thinking a Tues or Wed not based on any research just a mid week day. My question is how far in advance should I plan on making reservations for timed entrances into UG and A? Can I make reservations 1 or 2 days in advance? What would be the best order to visit each site if I am parking by the train station?
Old Mar 23rd, 2004, 05:07 AM
ira

Hi debby

>Can I make reservations 1 or 2 days in advance? <

You can make reservations weeks in advance.

See
Helpful Information: Italy http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34443340
Old Mar 23rd, 2004, 05:17 AM

You will need a map, but it is very big and easy to locate. I would book the Uffizi early--it will be closer--and hit the Accademia later in the day. The Duomo and Santa Croce are the other must sees and can be seen between the museum visits.
Old Mar 23rd, 2004, 06:20 AM

We also stayed just outside San G. and elected to drive to San. G. early in the morning and bus it to Florence. We didn't have a hard time parking in San G. that early in the a.m. I recall we bought the tickets the day before just inside the main entrance to San G. - perhaps someone can give exact location.