Best way to commute from Prague Airport to downtown

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5th, 2009, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My hubbie & I are flying to Prague from London on early May. We have heard awful things about local taxis. Any recommendations for an affordable yet safe commute from the airport to the city center?
Old Apr 5th, 2009, 11:10 PM

http://www.prague-airport-shuttle.com/
I have used this company in the past and will be using them again next month.
Run by an American Expat I can honestly say that they are relaible and efficient,most of their divers are also expats.
Old Apr 6th, 2009, 01:40 AM

On the way into Prague we used the Cedaz shuttle. It was clean, quick, and cheap. Luckily our hotel was near the drop-off point, but for a higher fare I know you can arrange to have a shuttle all the way to your hotel.

http://www.cedaz.cz/public-shuttle-b...2009.php?mid=0

On the way out we took a taxi arranged by our hotel. No problems at all - can't hurt to double check the fare when you get in the car though.
Old Apr 6th, 2009, 04:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hi; Our first trip to Prague we took the 'bus' with no problems. It goes close to the 'old' center. Very inexpensive. With rolling luggage, it is very easy. iris1745/dick
Old Apr 15th, 2009, 09:56 PM

I can also vouch for the www.prague-airport-shuttle.com. It's not luxury service, but it's reliable and friendly, usually with an English speaking driver. They also are good about waiting for delayed flights. And taxis, while much improved, are still unreliable and sometimes shifty (if they refuse to discuss price and tell you that they will read the meter, find another taxi).

If you are looking to save money, you can take bus line 100 from the airport to the Zličín metro stop. This is the last stop of Line B (yellow line), and the yellow line will take you directly into the city. The whole trip to your hotel could be made for 26 Czech koruna a person, which is a little over one USD. To find the bus stop from the terminal, just walk out the exit doors and across the arrival traffic lanes to the first median, where you should see a bus stop. This is the case at either arrival terminal.

The trip to the Metro takes about 15 minutes, and from the Metro into the city about 20 minutes. There is space on the bus for luggage, so it is not too uncomfortable. (by the way, if you have large suitcases, you will need to buy a 13 Czech koruna ticket for the suitcase, unless you buy a 100 koruna public transportation day pass, in which case it is unnecessary).

My travel business, www.gorealeurope.com provides extremely detailed travel directions (more detailed than above!), including step-by-step directions for using public transportation, including how to buy tickets, read signs, etc. The directions also include highly detailed walking directions starting from your hotel door, so if you don't plan on using public transportation we can still make your trip a lot easier.

While unfortunately our concierge service will not be operational until June 10, we can still provide you with a customized itinerary that would make it easy for you to get around Prague during your May trip. We are also quite affordable, and have a lot of free information on our website, so I hope you can find time to check us out. Have a great trip!
Old Apr 15th, 2009, 09:57 PM

I forgot, if you have any further questions, don't hesitate to contact me directly at [email protected]. Thanks!
Old Apr 15th, 2009, 10:05 PM

we caught a bus and then a train to get into the old town

if youre going to catch a taxi make sure it is AAA - lots of shonky people running up big fares when they see tourists
Old Apr 16th, 2009, 04:28 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hi Fitito; Go to www.inyourpocket.com/ Click on the city, Prague and then 'instant' and you will get a free download. You will find on page three, 'public transport' information. If you chose to take the bus, e-mail your hotel for instructions. Also, ask about the Airport Express. It seems to go thru the entire old city, but I'm not sure. The bus was very easy for us. iris1745/dick
Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 11:52 AM

I am staying at the Holiday Inn Airport and will have an extra day to explore. What is best way to get downtown from the hotel. How late can I expect to stay downtown at still get back to the hotel?

With all the concerns raised about the cabs, I'd like to stick with buses or trains. I will not have a phone to call a shuttle. Thanks
Old Apr 24th, 2009, 05:06 AM

AAA taxis are not a problem (usually) but will cost you close to £20 to get to the centre. for less than £1 (26Kc ticket) you can use public transport - bus 119 to Dejvicka then a metro for a couple of stops. Will take about 45 minutes depending on traffic from the airport to Dejvicka.

wobbers