Prague : from the airport to the city

Mar 22nd, 2011, 12:09 AM
Original Poster

Prague : from the airport to the city

We are flying into Prague in June and looking forward to exploring this amazing city. We will be staying in an apartment just off the Old Town Square.

Given that the airport is some 15 miles from the city what is the best way to get there? Like everyone else this traveller wants a simple, quick and cost effective way to travel those 15 miles!

Some of the larger hotels my have a shuttle service but is there a general one and any idea where it's journey will stop in the city and any idea of cost? What about other public transport?

The only thing I have heard - if traveling by taxi it would be a good idea to get a AAA Taxi or City Taxi rather than opt for a privately operated taxi cab because they can charge more when it comes to fares.

Appreciate your comments.
Mar 22nd, 2011, 01:01 AM

you can use a taxi or one of the airport shuttle services cost will be in the region of 500-700czk depending on which you use.
There is aAirport exoress bus to the main train station but is is a distance from old town square this costs 50czk.You can also use the 100 bus to Zilcin and get the metro from there or the 119 bus to Dejvika and metro from there.these options will cost 26czk plus 13czk for large bags.yoiu can get tickets at the transport stand in the airport arivals hall.
There is also the Cedaz shuttle that goes to V Celnici which is not far from Old town Square.
http://www.cedaz.cz/transport-from-a...-in-prague.php
It is worth biting the bullet and paying for a taxi/shuttle as the cost between 2 is not that high and gets you to your accommodation quickly and easily without you having to lug heavy bags around.
I travel to Prague 2 or three times a year,if I am there for a while and have a bigger bag I get the shuttle service,
http://www.prague-airport-shuttle.com/
if I am just there for a couple of days and have a small bag I use the public transport,but I know Prague pretty well and know where I am going.
Mar 22nd, 2011, 02:19 AM

Your previous posts indicate that you're flying from Australia, so you'll have had a long flight into Prague and will be tired and jetlagged when you get there.

Is your budget really so tight that you can't spend a few extra dollars on a cab? Do you really want to lug your cases and bags on and off public transport?

Get in a cab at the airport taxi rank, sit back, get out outside your apartment.
Mar 22nd, 2011, 05:09 AM

I've used Mike's Chauffeur service (recommended on this board) for a rate of 550CZK from the airport.

http://www.mike-chauffeur.cz/
Mar 22nd, 2011, 12:08 PM
Original Poster

It is easy to do the train from the airport in London and Sydney and else where we do taxis/car service. We will look at both websites recommended by adrienne and unclegus for the shuttle and car service. Many thanks.
Mar 22nd, 2011, 12:37 PM

Our first time in Prague we used the city bus after talking to a resident. The bus left us off near the old town and there we were looking for our hotel. Wife was getting fiesty, I looked down a street and there was our hotel. You have been given good suggestion. Perhaps you can find something on this site. In addition, it has lots of good information for download. Richard www.inyourpocket.com/czech-republic/prague
Mar 22nd, 2011, 01:44 PM

I must admit i really can't reccommend the AE bus service in Prague,it is fine if you have a small amount of luggage but useless if you have more as there are no luggage racks on the bus (airport buses ..... luggage........... somehwere to stash it.............it's not rocket science),also it only has 2 stops and even passes the Dejvika metro station.it takes twice as long as using the bus metro option.It has been quite a few years since I used Cedaz,they use to have a hotel sevice where up to 7 people would share a minibus and be dropped off a various hotels for a very cheap price,but they don't do that service anymore.
Do you have to go somewhere to pick up keys for the apartment or is someone meeting you there?
Mar 22nd, 2011, 11:01 PM
Original Poster

Arranging a time to meet at the apartment for keys....how long does the drive normally take?
Mar 23rd, 2011, 12:29 AM

from the airport to old town square by taxi/shutle about 40 minutes,but possibly longer if during rush hours,early morning or late evening it could be done in 30 minutes or so really just depends on traffic.
it is a similar time to the bus /Metro option ,but you get door to door and no luggage lugging up and down escaltors,steps and on and off transport.
Mar 23rd, 2011, 12:34 AM

<< how long does the drive normally take >>

It depends on the time of day but I would say 30 to 40 minutes. If there's any road construction along the route it could take longer. Your landlord would certainly know how long the drive will take from the airport if you tell him what time you're landing.
Mar 23rd, 2011, 02:51 AM

I have heard that AAA Taxi gave you a coupon which would allow you to use their service back to airport with %50 off, if you use with AAA Taxi for your transportation for your first time. Does anyone have any information about this issue? And does anyone have any recommendations for Prague for the dates 2-4 April?