Reload this Page >

Best way to avoid lines at Eiffel Tower

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 02:37 PM
Jennifer

Approximately a year ago, I took a city tour which included the Eiffel Tower. We just followed the tour operator right into the elevator, bypassing the huge line!<BR><BR>However, this time (in ~3 weeks), I really don't want to take the city tour. Does anyone have any tips on how not to spend most of my time at the Eiffel Tower standing in line?<BR><BR>Thanks!<BR><BR>Jennifer

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 02:38 PM
nowait

take the tour you took before.

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 02:43 PM
Duh!

Go first thing in the morning, or don't bother.

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 02:58 PM
Jennifer

There are museum passes that allow people to bypass lines, so I wondered if there are any kind of special tickets like that for the Eiffel Tower.<BR><BR>Jennifer

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 03:02 PM
Ruth

In Jan 2002 on a Saturday morning about 10am the line was about 20 min (longer later on). When we reached the 2nd level there was no line to go up to the top - we should have gone up then, since by the time we decided to go up, the line was about 20 min again.

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 05:11 PM
Catalina

All you have to do is make an reservation for and eat at the restaurant on the second level. The restaurant has its own entrance and there is no waiting. We did it last year. It works like a charm. The food is not expensive. The view from the restaurant is great. Try it.

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 05:25 PM
Steve

What is the approximate cost to meals at the Eiffel Tower?

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 07:40 PM
Chris

Go about 45min-1hr before it closes. No line at all, and it was beautiful (though the highest level may be closed). However, the souvenier shop was closed (no chance to get that Eiffel Tower statue that you absolutely MUST have the minute you get in the elevator).

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 08:14 PM
pam

The restaurant on the 2nd floor? Is this the Jules Verne?

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 10:55 PM
alex

First stage restaurant= Altitude 95. Second stage = Le Jules Verne. Going early works well generally in Paris. Details:www.tour-eiffel.fr

Old Mar 3rd, 2002, 06:11 AM
jd

Regarding the question above about meal prices, the Jules Verne, which as I recall gets 2 out of a possible 3 Michelin stars, is pricy by American standards, but very in line for Paris and France. Dining for a couple, including a bottle of wine that is not too expensive by 2 star standards, should run $200-$300. We're talking evening meal here. Reservations for the Jules Verne, I have been told, should be booked a few weeks before your travel date. <BR>Prices at the Altitude Restaurant, which does not feature haute cuisine, will be much lower.<BR>It's important to note that in France (where I lived for some years) they do not have the unfortunate practice we see in the U.S. of charging more just because you're at a landmark. You would find the prices at either of the Eiffel Tower's restaurants to be the same for a comparable restaurant in any other part of the major arrondissements of Paris. If lower prices and comparable dining are important, I would get out of Paris. Maybe you are planning a couple of days to do the chateaux on the Loire. You'll find excellent opportunities in the Michelin Red Guide around the towns of Tours, Amboise, Onzain, Blois, and St. Ouen-les-Vignes.

Old Mar 3rd, 2002, 06:41 AM
alex

The Jules Verne has one Michelin star (www.viamichelin.com). The Michelin site also indicates the restaurant is closed March 18-April 22.

Old Mar 3rd, 2002, 06:43 AM
Patrick

I'm curious. Is it possible after dining at Jules Verne to go up the rest of the way to the top of the tower?

Old Mar 3rd, 2002, 06:46 AM
Jane

I went 4 weeks ago, and about 1/15 hour before it closed. I did not encounter any lines at all. The elevator's were croweded but that was it. Depending how much time you want, that it what I suggest. Note that I have not tried early morning.

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 04:58 AM
topping

Topping

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 06:01 AM
Joe

What time does the Eiffel Tower close?

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 06:06 AM
parislover

Joe: You can see all details -- in English, if you prefer -- at the above mentioned site:<BR>www.tour-eiffel.fr