Car rental rates

Mar 3rd, 2002, 02:12 PM
Mike Kramer

Car rental rates

I was forewarned of car rental extras in Italy (ins, tax, surcharges, etc.) but still had a nice case of sticker shock when checking out rates. What should we expect to pay for a week's rental for a basic economy car, with all costs included? And how hard is it to find a car with automatic transmission? (my wife-to-be can't drive a stick) Thanks.

Mar 3rd, 2002, 02:37 PM
Rex

It might vary a little bit with what time of year you plan to travel.

The quote from www.autoeurope.com will be competitive, if not the lowest.

Other good resources for comparison shopping are:

www.its-cars-hotels.com
www.kemwel.com

and

www.travelocity.com

And just this week, syndicated columnist Ed Perkins ran a feature on new maverick car rental providers - - noe of which I have ever heard of, here on this forum (and he did NOT mention AutoEurope - - wow!)

His column appears at http://www.smarterliving.com/columns/ed/Check20020228.1.html

Best wishes,

Rex

Mar 3rd, 2002, 04:48 PM
Sherry

We are renting an automatic car for 12 days with pick up in Florence and drop off in Rome. It is the economy level car. I got the best rate I could from Hertz with unlimited mileage and all insurances, theft and cdw with no deductions. The cost was $610. Auto Europe then beat it for $590. Their original quote was way over $700. And believe me I looked and looked. Last year I rented the same car for 10 days for $298. Go figure. It may be the time of year. We had extended the rental from a week and that price, inclusive, was over $400. If you find a better deal, let me know.

Mar 3rd, 2002, 07:11 PM
ttt

to the top

Mar 4th, 2002, 03:57 AM
ttt

to the top

Mar 4th, 2002, 06:17 AM
Anna

I just got a quote for a manual 4 door compact (Alfa Romeo 146 or similar) from Auto Europe for $340 including CDW, VAT, theft, etc. The only thing not included is a $2.50 per day licensing fee. We will pick up in Rome and drop it in Venice. Look at www.smarterliving.com before requesting a quote from Auto Europe, they have a discount code that will give you an extra 10% off. I don't drive stick either, but my husband will drive and I'll navigate.