Best way Rome to Civitavecchia

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28th, 2007, 07:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Need to go from Rome to Civitavecchia to catch a cruise ship. Any suggestions for how to do it that will save money and not be too difficult.
Old Jan 28th, 2007, 07:26 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
From the city or the airport?
Old Jan 28th, 2007, 10:06 AM

Take the train from Rome -- depending on schedule, ie - number of stops -- it is about 45 mins to 1:30. Train runs every 10 to 15 mins -- more of a commuter run. Last summer it was about $3, maybe $5 -- dont remember exactly. From the train station it is an easy (flat) walk of less than a mile to the cruise ship terminal. Our cruise ship HAm had a shuttle bus waiting at the gate that took us to the ship. Exact reverse on return. Also taxi are available at the train station. We are going again this summer.
Old Jan 28th, 2007, 10:46 AM
Original Poster

from the city.
Old Jan 28th, 2007, 10:49 AM
Original Poster

Leaving on Holland America May 30 with granddaughter. This sounds like it is do able with not much luggage. I am 73, but an active senior. What do you think?
Old Jan 28th, 2007, 11:02 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
From the city, catch the train at Rome Termini station. www.trenitalia.com
If you can get your luggage up the steps into the train, it shouldn't be any problem. You can take either IC trains (faster, but less frequent) or R trains. Seats can be reserved on IC trains for a small extra fee (2-3E). You can't reserve a seat on R trains.
Old Jan 28th, 2007, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

Do either of you remember about what train track? I find train stations very confusing? Thanks
Old Jan 28th, 2007, 11:15 AM
ira

Hi B,

>Do either of you remember about what train track? <

There is a large board at the train station with all of the departing and arriving train info.

Look for your train number and time, not Civitavecchia.

It will tell you the track from which you will depart.

Old Jan 28th, 2007, 03:53 PM

barieb, If you can handle your luggage by yourself, you should be OK -- but keep it light. We don't much more than a carryon. We are only 10 years younger.

We will see you there. We plan to go into Rome 26 or 27 and take the train mid day on the 30th. Don't remember the track. We just took the first train going that way. Are flying in that day or earlier?
Old Jan 28th, 2007, 05:18 PM

Be VERY aware of the actual layout of the port at Civitavecchia.

While it is true that the <b>entrance</b> to the port area is about a ten-minute, basically flat and on sidewalks, walk from the RR station, your ship may very well be docked further on and with luggage that could be a problem.

My advice would be to get one of the taxis at the RR station and have them take you all the way to the ship wherever it might actually be docked.
Old Jan 28th, 2007, 05:42 PM

Dukey -- where your ship is not a problem. Assume from your comments you have not been there. We were there last year. A free shuttle bus at the entrance took us to the ship. There were two cruises ships in port that day. They are well set up to handle train passengers from Rome. Same when we returned, a bus took us to the front door and we walked from there. A big problem is that there not enough taxis to take people to the train. Not a problem for us as we intended to walk anyway. And we will be there again this year.
Old Jan 28th, 2007, 06:20 PM

Be forewarned ...

Taking the train from Rome was easy -- and a very pleasant ride. I wrote &quot;Civitavecchia&quot; on a piece of paper, handed it to the agent, and was handed a ticket. I had no trouble finding the gate.

Based on things I'd read about the &quot;easy, 10 minute walk&quot; to the cruise ship terminal, I left the RR station with my luggage and headed toward the terminal.

We wandered lost for about an HOUR AND A HALF following signs that said &quot;Porto&quot;(and it was sweltering in August). After we'd gotten a few blocks from the station, NO ONE spoke a word of English and and there were no taxis to be found.

It was a nightmare and we arrived at the ship at the last possible moment, drenched in sweat, stressed, and exhausted. At one point, We could SEE the ship -- but there seemed to be no way to get to it. AGGHHH!

Next time, I'll take the train from Rome. . . and a taxi (or shuttle, if available) from the train station in Cicitavecchia. Enjoy! (But don't walk from the train station to the ship!!!)

But, if you're taking the train, do be sure that you can handle your luggage. (I pack light.)
Old Jan 29th, 2007, 06:33 AM

songdoc, I take your word that you got lost but not sure how. We exited the train station on a slight hill or bluff overlooking the beach and harbor area. We could see two ships ar anchor at some distance on our right. Crossed a very busy road down to the walkway along the beach. At beach level we could no longer see the ships or the harbor area but walked in that general direction. The walk tooks us to a stone archway for people and an obvious entrance to the port for vehicles. After walking through the archway a grassy area on the left looked like a bus stop -- benches, signs, etc. A bus was sitting there with a sign in the window that said, HAL. Could not have been easier.

One thing I did beforehand was to use Goggle Earth to get a visual view of where we were going. For me it was very helpful to have picture in my mind of the general layout. I do that with most of the areas that we travel to especially when it is critical to know the route. Couple that with a map, I am sure I can find anything.

If you have a lot of luggage, I would not recommend the walk but we don't take much more than one carryon each for the ship so luggage is never a problem for us.
Old Jan 29th, 2007, 06:50 AM

Actually, FMPDEN I have been to Civitavecchia.

I am happy to hear that you had a free shuttle from the port entrance to your ship...and that it just happened to be there waiting for you when you arrived.

Do you happen to know, for certain, that the OP is going to have the same?

So, I am sorry but without that free shuttle where your ship is docked could be a very BIG problem.

I was simply trying to warn the OP of all the possibilities...and also give some general descriptive directions about how to get to the port entrance.

Old Jan 29th, 2007, 09:02 AM

Dukey, I would assume so since she is going on the same cruises line that we were on last summer. And, by chance, we are on the same cruise, May 30, this next year. Besides the HAL shuttle there is a regular shuttle that loops the port area. This a major cruise ship port area and it is set up to handle train travelers. If you were there, how did you get to your ship?
Old Jan 29th, 2007, 09:25 AM

I have a feeling that ships must dock in different areas. I sailed on Celebrity. There were other ships that would have been easier to access.

Believe me, it was horrendous! Even after finally finding the port area, it was at least another half mile walk to the ship. Bear in mind that in Rome, I walked at least ten miles a day (loving every minute) -- so I'm not someone who would complain about a little hike.
Old Jan 29th, 2007, 09:32 AM

I got back and forth from my ship by walking....from the pier itself to the post entrance and walking from there to the RR station. Since the cruise didn't start out in Civitavecchia there no issue of transferring with luggage.

I would not want to have walked the entire distance from the RR station to the ship, even with rolling luggage which is why I suggested the taxi.

Unless the train from Rome comes into the one stub-end track at the RR station there may be the issue of stairs at the RR station; don't suppose you remember those do you, Fmpden?
Old Jan 29th, 2007, 09:34 AM

If you're planning on taking the train (which is a great idea) be sure to check the strike schedule and that the trains are moving.
Old Jan 29th, 2007, 09:45 AM

Dukey, what does stairs have to do with the discussion. There are stairs all over Europe. Goes with the territory. I am always amazed how these discussions take a life of their own when the responses have nothing to do with the original question.

The question was how to get from Rome to cruise ship out of Civitavecchia. Not how to get to and from Rome on a cruise ship passing by Civitavetchia. I have been there, on the same cruise line, and will be there again this summer. I have to assume the HAL will provide the same level of service as in the past. If not, we are all screwed.

And yes, there will be stairs -- and I didn't think to memtion that !!! So what ???
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 07:25 AM

Try this site it might help with a visual of the Civitavecchia port and train station.
www.europeportreviews.com/Rome2.htm

We are going on Carnival Freedom 05/25/07. Hope they have a shuttle.