Reload this Page >

Best way from Heathrow to hotel

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21st, 1999, 07:22 AM
Tom Dent

We will be staying at the Wigmore Court Hotel in Portman Square fairly close to Marble Arch. I have looked at all the alternatives from Heathrow and don't want to lug bags on the Tube. What's the best way for two seniors to make this trip ? Glad of any advice and thanks in advance.

Old Apr 21st, 1999, 07:34 AM
michael

Tom, <BR>Check out the new direct train from Heathrow to Paddington Station. From there a taxi to your hotel. <BR>Have a great time; I'll be there this summmer. <BR>

Old Apr 21st, 1999, 08:08 AM
Ron

Michael's is a good answer. It will cost 10 pounds each for the train and probably 5 to 7 for the cab. Its a fairly long hike from the customs hall to the Heathrow Express train station, but carts are plentiful. I don't remember if taxis still drive right into Paddington station, but if they do that transfer is easy. <BR> <BR>An alternative answer is the Internet airport transfer services. For 30 pounds, a driver will be waiting as you exit the customs hall, holding a sign with your name on it, and drive you to your hotel. You can get info and book on their website: http://www.proteus.demon.co.uk/taxi.html<BR>Do read the fine print at the bottom of their main page.

Old Apr 21st, 1999, 01:05 PM
Scott

Re: the Heathrow-to-Paddington train <BR> <BR>I purchased a London Visitor Travelcard, which I know gives me virtually unlimited use of the tube and buses. But does it work on the Heathrow-to-Paddington train, as well? I suspect not, but figured I’d ask. <BR>

Old Apr 21st, 1999, 06:10 PM
Ron

Scott, you suspect right; it doesn't work on the Heathrow Express to Paddington.

Old Apr 22nd, 1999, 04:31 PM
Sue Handlin

I am leaving next week for a hotel in the Knightsbridge section. I sent them an e-mail and they gave me perfect directions. One alternative they gave me to riding the Heathrow express was that they offered to have a cab pick me up for 38 pounds. They asked for my flight information and said they would have someone waiting for me. I declined, but it may be an option that you may look into - the hotel may give you a cheaper rate. I say to contact them directly and perhaps they will help.

Old Apr 23rd, 1999, 05:56 AM
Jill

Check out the Airbus (I think their web site is www.airbus.co.uk) for the A2 bus that leaves every 1/2 hour from Heathrow and only cost 6 pounds one way or 10 pounds return. The A2 goes close to where you are staying and over to Russell Square - the A1 bus goes via Earl's Court/Kensington/Victoria Station area.

Old Apr 26th, 1999, 05:09 AM
Tom Dent

Thankyou all for you responses to my query. Now its decisions decisions decisions time great fun. Tom