Get out of Here!

Old Apr 24th, 1999, 07:11 AM
Kelley

Get out of Here!

Regarding the agressive pickpockets in Rome: How does one roar "GET OUT OF HERE" in Italian?

Old Apr 24th, 1999, 12:38 PM
Monica

Say in a loud, strong voice, "basta!" (enough!) or "basta cosi" (that's enough!). It will get the attention of others and is also useful for the gypsies, though I have never had problems with pickpockets and gypsies in my travels.

Old Apr 24th, 1999, 10:45 PM
Dr. Mauro Abate - Roman Homes

Dear Kelley,

This is how you say it:

VA VIA!
(pr. Vaah Veeaahh!)

Also just mention: POLIZIA (Police - Pr. Pohleezeeah), this will "convince" them more.
Ciao from Rome.

Old Apr 25th, 1999, 09:25 PM
JD

Hi:
Has anyone had any success using a personal alarm (which gives off a loud siren) like a car alarm to scare off pickpoctets?
JD

Old Apr 26th, 1999, 06:13 AM
cheryl

I don't think any kind of alarm is necessary to get rid of pickpockets. There appear to be two types of pickpockets from what we have seen. The first is people (often gypsy children) who try to get your attention, often with a paper in your face, in order to pick your pocket below. This is the most common aggressive pickpocketing we have seen. Not allowing them to get close or saying "va via" if they do should make them go away. It is best just to avoid these people when you see them, if at all possible. The other type of pickpocketing we have seen, and the most common, happens when people just aren't paying attention to there belongings. Never let a backpack with valuables hang over your back, or a purse dangle from a shoulder. If you are in a crowd, keep a hand directly on the top of a purse (worn across the body), or on your fanny pack (wear it in front, if you use one). I also wouldn't advise carrying a wallet, there are very few things that you carry in one that you can use in a foreign country, anyway. Most pickpocketing seems to happen when people are just not aware of their surroundings, so just pay attention and you should be fine. Don't be so concerned that you don't enjoy your trip.