best tube option for one day stay in London

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4th, 2007, 09:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm getting confused reading the transport site. In the past, I've stayed longer and bought travel cards.

What cost of oyster card would I need yo travel from Heathrow and back, and take 2 or 3 journeys in zone 1 and 2 during the one day I am there? Or is there a better alternative?

What if I took the 2 heathrow to Central journeys and didn't use the tube on my day in London?

Thank you for any answers. I appreciate it.

I have read the oyster card threads. I'm just getting confused.
Old Feb 4th, 2007, 09:17 AM

For the one day it would not make much difference to get an oyster card...

As long as it is after 0930 on a weekday or any time on a weeked, you would simply get a zone 1-6 travelcard whether you are going to use other transport while in London or not...

Old Feb 4th, 2007, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. I should have specified I am staying two nights/one day. I arrive on a Frday, leave on s Sunday. So since there are no loner 1 day travel cards, individual fares?
Old Feb 4th, 2007, 09:29 AM

There are one day travel cards - they come as a - em - card
Old Feb 4th, 2007, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

Oh. I read a post where someone said they were being elimanated. This forum is a hem mean. Remind me neber to ask anything here again.
Old Feb 4th, 2007, 09:45 AM

You really don't want one way cash fares...One day travelcards remain available on paper...oyster cards are better as you don't have to make the committment on the spot but you can also go the oyster card route, fill the card say with £10 of prepaid credit, use it and on the way out at Heathrow, you can have whatever is left refunded as well as the £3 deposit or simply hold onto it for later use.

The advantage of the oyster card is no decisions be made in advance, you use it and the computer will figure out the best combination of fares whether it be single fares, bus fares or whatever with the provision that it will cap at 50p below the cost of a one day travelcard for whatever you do that day...and the trip back to Heathrow on Sunday will only be £2 as opposed to the £4 cash fare so there's is basically the £3 deposit right there.

So now that I know your plans, it's a no brainer. Go with an oyster card and simply put 10 quid on it and if need be, you can always top it up.
Old Feb 4th, 2007, 10:04 AM
Original Poster

exy123, thanks. I'm good to go with that info you gave. Thank you so much.

Sorry for the outburst, alanRow - I know you have been very helpful here. Apolgies, I'm a bit mental today.