Reload this Page >

Best travel adventure book

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16th, 2000, 07:11 AM
steve

What is the best book you have ever read that inspired you to travel. My favorites are 'A Vagabond Journey Around the World' by Harry Franck (written almost a century ago) and Richard Halliburton's 'The Royal Road to Romance' - written about 1922

Old Jul 16th, 2000, 03:41 PM
Belinda

I enjoyed reading Dervla Murphy's books, can't recall titles. She travelled solo by bicycle from Europe into Asia. I so wanted to be her!

Old Jul 16th, 2000, 04:27 PM
lola

Heidi, and Babar the Elephant did it for me when I was a kid. Those strange places, those illustrations. I knew I wanted to see the world even as a single-digiter.

Old Jul 16th, 2000, 11:34 PM
Sheila

The Hitch-hiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Old Jul 17th, 2000, 06:16 AM
Ann

Even though it ends pretty badly for everyone, and the movie blows, "The Beach" is a real adventure novel, with a great story and plenty of travel stuff (in the beginning at least).

Old Jul 17th, 2000, 06:17 AM
Ann

Of course, there's the timeless classic "Around Ireland with a Fridge". The author's name slips my mind right now. On a bet, he traveled around Ireland toting a dorm-sized refrigerator. One of the funniest books I've ever had the pleasure the read. Great photos, also.

Old Jul 17th, 2000, 06:33 AM
jwagner

Lost Continent, by Bill Bryson

Old Jul 17th, 2000, 12:15 PM
lina

Some that I have enjoyed: <BR>Pillars of Hercules by Paul Theroux <BR> (around the Mediterranean) <BR>The Size of the World by Jeff Greenwald <BR> (around the world) <BR>Miles Away: a Walk Across France by <BR> Miles Moreland <BR>Days and Nights on the Grand Trunk Road <BR> by Anthony Weller <BR>And a classic: I Married Adventure by <BR> Osa Johnson

Old Jul 18th, 2000, 07:30 AM
lisa

My favorite travel adventure book is called "Tracks: A Woman's Solo Trek Across 1,700 Miles of Australian Outback," by Robyn Davidson. She did it on camelback. You could practically taste the dust. I was amazed at the complex relationship between camel and rider. Haven't been to Australia yet, but plan to go someday.

Old Jul 18th, 2000, 07:38 AM
Joyce

"Three Men in a Boat" by Jerome K Jerone. It's the hilarious adventures during a barge trip on the Thames.