Best Train Travel from London to CDG Airport

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2009, 02:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are traveling from London to CDG Airport on the EuroStar. Should we go all the way to Paris on the EuroStar and then take the RER/CDG train to CDG Airport OR take the EuroStar to Lille and change to the TGV to get to the airport? Thanks.
Old May 13th, 2009, 02:50 PM

I think your option two (London-Lille-CDG) sounds better but it depends on date and time of travel i.e. when you need to be at CDG.

Do you have your tickets yet? I would check with raileurope (although not necessarily to buy the tickets) or with eurostar, giving details on travel date and required arrival at CDG.
Old May 13th, 2009, 09:46 PM

You won't get much help from Eurostar on this.

Though there's a couple of trains an hour from Lille-Europe that stop at CDG, Eurostar don't list them at all. There's also a substantial difference between the Lille-CDG walk up fare (€40-odd) and the prebooked fare (still a bit more than the RER fare: remember London-Paris is the same price as London-Lille) And many Lille-CDG trains go from Lille-Flandres, which is trickier to get to from Lille-Europe than the RER station is from the Gare du Nord Eurostar platform. You need to work a bit to get the SNCF site to be straightforward about this.

Prebooking (on the FRENCH SNCF site) the TGV means a slightly easier and quicker, though slightly costlier, journey.
Old May 14th, 2009, 08:51 AM

And many Lille-CDG trains go from Lille-Flandres, which is trickier to get to from Lille-Europe than the RER station is from the Gare du Nord Eurostar platform.>

This is poor info - i wonder why folks say things so definitively when it simply ain't so - there are about only 2 trains a day between Lille Flandres and CDG airport - there are many many more right from Lille Europa meaning no change in stations.

How about checking facts before portraying something as a hassle when it ain't so?
Old May 14th, 2009, 09:04 AM

Motes and beams, painthead (bjwallgood: our charmless, obnoxious and ill-informed latecomer needs to drink half an undersized US gallon of paint before starting his day. He's probably not got round to it yet, which is why he's more charmless and worse-informed than ever)

If you're too bloody lazy to offer any useful information, you might at least refrain from coming out with utter balderdash. Between 0558 and 0653 tomorrow alone, for example, there are three trains from Lille-Flandres to CDG.

Or does the paint hit your ability to count as well?
Old May 14th, 2009, 12:28 PM

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/que...fasScrollDir=1

and who can join those three early morning trains coming from the Eurostar

here are ten trains after 8:30 and only ONE goes direct from Lille Flandres to CDG - others involve changes in Paris - no i did not start searching at 6 am because it was irrelevant to the question

I stand saying the vast number of CDG Lille connections go from Lille Europa and for you to say that 'many do' is simply BS and misinformation.

Again look at this site from bahn.de - from 8am to 8pm only ONE direct CDG TGV from Flandres yet many about hourly from Europa.
Old May 14th, 2009, 12:35 PM

OK Between 0558 and 0653 tomorrow alone, - i did not check tomorrow but on a typical day - 21.05. a Thursday there is one Flandres-CDG TGV at 6:38 am and not another one to 12:30pm - again the misinformation you continue to spew is weird - admit when you said 'And many Lille-CDG trains go from Lille-Flandres' that that was pure misinformation - isolated trains about every six hours do so - you may call that many but i would not - many are the about hourly ones from Lille Europa to CDG

Guess paint supply in Cotswolds is running low?

Now i'll check tomorrow and i suspect you may be right - why i don't know but i've checked several days and there is only the 6:30am and 12:30 pm direct trains and not another until night.
Old May 14th, 2009, 12:39 PM

OK flanneur - still only ONE TGV - at 6;38am - where are you getting your schedules from?

The bahn.de site is known for its accuracy

please document your "Between 0558 and 0653 tomorrow alone, for example, there are three trains from Lille-Flandres to CDG."

??? - 'many trains' - a rare one as it turns out, even for tomorrow.
Old May 14th, 2009, 12:45 PM

I would like to know approximately how much this costs. Does anyone know?
Old May 14th, 2009, 12:53 PM

Costs can vary greatly - by hundreds of dollars as the Eurostar has a byzantine pricing structure - with special fares for seniors, youths, railpass holders, etc.

and the cheaper Leisure tickets can sell out months before a certain train - so booking early keeps costs down but no one can say what a London-CDG airport trajectory would cost as they are about a hundred various fares, literally. You can book up to nine months in advance in the U.S. thru RailEurope and a bit less so i think thru eurostar.com - for fares in pounds - check both sources as one can be cheaper than the other as there seems to be little rhyme or reason when comparing fares with the two sites.

The cheapest way would be to take the Eurostar all the way London to Paris Gare du Nord then the RER from there out to the airport.

If you change at Lille Europa (or on the apparently two direct Lille Flandres TGVs to CDG a day) then you have to buy a separate ticket as Eurostar has no through ticketing arrangements and the Eurostar tickets London to Lille vs London to Paris is very little difference - just a few bucks cheaper.

Changing at Lille would i think mean at least a $50-70 more fare than going via Paris Gare du Nord - and that's why it is not really an option except for the person who may find a tight connection at Lille Europa and thus would be about an hour quicker to CDG that way.

This all will change soon as Eurostar, Thalys, ICE, etc. join a joint thru ticketing scheme - returning things to like they were in the 1960s when you could buy a ticket from point A to point B anywhere in Europe. But for now changing at Lille means buying a separate SNCF ticket for Lille to CDG
Old May 15th, 2009, 07:49 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your input. We are going to try to book EuroStar from London to Paris and then take the RER (8Euro) out to the CDG Airport.