Venice airport to train/bus question

May 14th, 2009, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

Venice airport to train/bus question

I'm traveling next Tuesday. I arrive at Marco Polo Airport at around 9:40 a.m. There is a bus that is supposed to take you to the Mestre Rail Station. From there I want to take the first available mode to Villach for an ovenight on the way to Lujubljana. Seems the best way to get to Slovenia when cost is a factor.
Now the question: The Trainitalia website shows both a bus, and a train to Villach. The bus (EC832) leaves at 11:20 a.m., and the train leaves at almost 4:00 p.m. Time could be tight. Will I have time to catch the bus, and, if so, can I save time by buying the ticket on the bus instead of going into the station? Stations can be both confusing and slow.
After traveling since early the previous morning, I really prefer to catch the bus instead of waiting on the late afternoon train.
May 14th, 2009, 07:47 AM

Never been on a bus in Italy where the driver sold tickets but have not taken this one - will be waiting for definitive responses
May 14th, 2009, 07:56 AM

We took bus from airport to Venice and bought tickets from the tobacco shop we passed after going through customs. You should be able to get some info from the ticket seller there.

Another question is what is the location of the bus stop you need in Mestre? Bus driver should be able to help you. I think you have more than enough time. My notes from that trip don't say how long it took to get to Venice but I'm sure it was less than an hour. Since Mestre is before Venice, it would be even less.

Of course, a land taxi would be the fastest. Good luck!
May 14th, 2009, 08:04 AM

And perhaps with a land taxi you would join the bus at a place closer to the airport and not backtracking to Mestre?
May 14th, 2009, 08:48 AM
Original Poster

I might should have added that departure is from Mestre rail station.
Taxis? Good suggestion, but I don't like taxis: too expensive, and to easy to get ripped off.
May 14th, 2009, 11:01 AM

Or, just take the #5 bus to Venice, explore then take the train from there later in the day. Just make sure your train stops in Mestre (I think most of em do).
May 15th, 2009, 08:57 AM

Hi Rd - There is a regular airport shuttle bus direct to Mestre station (- 20 mins approx). Get your shuttle bus ticket inside the airport - and validate on boarding.

The bus to Villach will leave from the same bus station, I believe. There is a small ticket office there

Steve