Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Best train route to Paris, Milan through Bern, or Milan through Basel?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 06:53 PM
Cindy

I am wondering what the most scenic route is, and also what your suggestions would be for an overnight stop along the way. Ingo has suggested Spiez if we go by way of Bern, and it looks like a great suggestion (train stop, scenic town). But is that the prettiest route? If not, where could we stop between Milan and Basel that would be on the train route, and small enough to do an easy one-nighter? Thank you.

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 08:16 PM
Greg

Cindy,<BR><BR>There are many choices, so here are some to think about. You can go from Milan to St. Moritz via Tirano. This is a very well known and scenic route on the Bernina Express. From there you can take the Glacier Express all the way to Zermatt if you want or stop at Brig. Then up to Spiez and on to Basel.<BR><BR>Another choise would be Milan to Lugano, a wonderful lake town in the southern part of Swittzerland. From there to Brig (through Italy) and then up to Basel.<BR><BR>Both of these are great trips that will amaze you. If you want some specific help with planning you can e-mail me.<BR><BR>Happy planning.<BR><BR>Greg<BR>

Old Jan 26th, 2002, 04:44 AM
Ingo

Cindy,<BR><BR>Although I must admit the route via St. Moritz is very scenic (Bernina-Express is probably the most scenic route in the Alps) it takes a very long time and one overnight stop will be too tight to enjoy this.<BR><BR>The route Milan via Brig to Spiez and via Bern to Paris is also very scenic. You have beautiful views of Lake Maggiore, impressive alpine scenery after passing Brig and between Kandersteg and Spiez. You will love it. <BR><BR>Another choice is to go via Brig to Montreux/Vevey and stay there overnight. Very beautiful route. As far as I know there is a TGV from Lausanne to Paris.<BR><BR>Ingo<BR><BR>