Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Best train experience Madrid/Valencia roundtrip?

Old Sep 20th, 2007, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the best train to take to and from on a Madrid/Valencia roundtrip in March? Family of four includes two kids who are looking forward to train travel; would like first class, restaurant car, fastest speed, the works.

Old Sep 20th, 2007, 09:22 AM

Alaris trains that go between the two cities about every two hours, less so on Sundays and take just under 3 1/2 hrs each way.

Reservations are required before boarding and come with your ticket.

Best fares: www.renfe.es - Spanish rail web site for online booking and possible discounts for advance buys

In case you, not atypically find the renfe.es site to not cooperate and want tickets in the U.S. you can check www.raileurope.com - check them anyway as sometime they have surprisingly competitive fares in Spain (more often not, however) - i always recommend anyone wanting tickets in U.S. to call BETS (800-441-2387; www.budgeteuropetravel.com) for their expertise and great servfice and lack of RailEurope's $18 mailing fee for orders under $400, which this would likely be. Generally the best bet would be the www.renfe.es - Spanish rail site. Or most likely you would have no problem booking in Spain but getting four reserved seats together could be problematic just before the train perhaps.

Kids, usually under 12 but could be higher for Spain, get about 50% off adult fares; under 4 free.
Old Sep 21st, 2007, 10:26 AM

maybe someone can comment with recent experience how hard or easy these trains are to book on the spot or on www.rense.es, though it seems there have been plenty of reported problems booking with that sight.

I don't believe you can book until 60 days ahead of time, maybe 90 in any case.
Old Sep 21st, 2007, 12:52 PM

As PalenqueBob said, trains go about every two hours, so, on weekdays (except maybe Friday afternoon) I don't think you will have any problem booking when you arrive to Spain. (If it is not a major vacation date). The trains are very comfortable especially on first class but as the trip is not very long they don't have restaurant car just bar and they serve you your meal on the seat , it's like business class in planes They also have seats for families, four seats with a table in the middle. They probably give you these ones if you ask for four seats together and have kids
Old Sep 21st, 2007, 03:05 PM

the train is the EUROMED. It is fabulous. you also get admission to the VIP lounge in every departing station.

you MUST ask for the table for four, and the only way to get it, as there are very few on each car, is to book when it is 60 days in advance. the longer you wait, the fewer your chances are.

this will practically guarantee you of that table.

it is a three hour trip.
Old Sep 21st, 2007, 03:08 PM

your first class tickets also gives you a meal and unlimited drinks, including alcohol. there is no restaurant car, but a simple snackcar with no seating .

however, you will probably not use this if you go first class as the hostesses bring around the drinks whenever you want them.
Old Sep 21st, 2007, 03:35 PM

Lin, EUROMED to Madrid ? Palenque is right, it is ALARIS.
Old Sep 21st, 2007, 04:01 PM

my mistake. sorry! sorry! my mind is obsessed with barcelona tonight ! canīt believe ( well, yes i can.. ) i read that wrong!

absolutely right. rest of info not sure then if it is right about the unlimited drinks.. i assume so.. but vip lounge is correct.

sorry! thanks kenderina.. how you doing?
Old Sep 21st, 2007, 07:05 PM

Yes, the info on the meals and drinks is right

Lin, I'm not doing too well, but this is not anything new, you know . I'm glad to see you round here, you're working too much lately
Old Sep 21st, 2007, 07:31 PM

In Feb. I did that trip from Mad to Valencia. About 3.5 hr, we got the tickets right before we got on the train. Maybe because it was Feb. Second class was perfectly nice.