Best Towns for a Base in Piedmont

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26th, 2022, 10:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

One area of Italy that we have not explored is the Piedmont. What towns/villages would you recommend staying in for ~5days or so and doing day trips from? We’d like 2 bases. We will also visit Turin and Genoa for 4-5 days each,
we enjoy scenic countryside, culture, food and just soaking up the atmosphere of where we stay. Some hikes could be possible. We will have a car when staying in the countryside and drop it in either Genoa or Turin and take the train between those two cities and return to Milan,
Thanks for your suggestions on where to base ourselves in May/June 2023. Our total trip time will be ~1 month.
Old Oct 27th, 2022, 01:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We spent a month in Piedmont pre pandemic. We stayed with a friend who has a villa there (but I can't recall the name of the town!) . We visited a few towns and villages from there and also spent a few nights in Asti. Quite frankly, you are spoilt for choice! Carolyn posted some photos of Saluzzo on our blog @ https://accidentalnomads.com/2019/06...ts-of-saluzzo/. That would be a contender as would Asti. Alba was another place we enjoyed for a day. Bra, where the "slow food" movement started may be worth a look. Barolo for its vineyards perhaps?

Like I said, spoilt for choice!

Old Oct 27th, 2022, 07:49 AM

We are staying in La Morra. Will be there same time!
Old Oct 27th, 2022, 07:58 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by crellston
We spent a month in Piedmont pre pandemic. We stayed with a friend who has a villa there (but I can't recall the name of the town!) . We visited a few towns and villages from there and also spent a few nights in Asti. Quite frankly, you are spoilt for choice! Carolyn posted some photos of Saluzzo on our blog @ https://accidentalnomads.com/2019/06...ts-of-saluzzo/. That would be a contender as would Asti. Alba was another place we enjoyed for a day. Bra, where the "slow food" movement started may be worth a look. Barolo for its vineyards perhaps?

Like I said, spoilt for choice!
thanks! Saluzzo looks wo derful fro your blog photos.
Old Oct 27th, 2022, 08:07 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We based in the hills surrounding Alba. It was a perfect location for our daily trips to various wine villages, Barolo, Bra,Nieve, La Mora and more. There were few crowded areas. Wonderful food too.
Old Oct 27th, 2022, 08:42 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HappyTrvlr
We based in the hills surrounding Alba. It was a perfect location for our daily trips to various wine villages, Barolo, Bra,Nieve, La Mora and more. There were few crowded areas. Wonderful food too.
Any specific accommodations you recommend? Thanks!
Old Oct 28th, 2022, 07:32 AM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
We spent four nights in La Morra at a fantastic property, Rocche Costamagna Art Suites, in 2018. Alba would also be a great base to see the area. Chapters Ten - Fourteen cover our time in Piemonte hill towns and Chapters Fifteen - Seventeen detail Turin. Must return !

https://travelswithmaitaitom.com/italy-2018/

La Morra

Old Oct 28th, 2022, 07:44 AM

We really enjoyed Agriturismo Cascina Baràc 5km outside Alba. Beautiful property, clean spacious rooms with a really nice breakfast and prior to covid served dinner too. It looks like they may not have evening food service now or it is just for guests upon request. There was a very small town 5mins away that had 2 or 3 Michelin restaurants which was so inconceivable to us since we were really in the countryside. I hope they all made it through the pandemic.

The staff was very knowledgeable and kind with making reservations and helping us plan our explorations of the area. It was the perfect base for slow drives, amazing lunches and wine tastings. Loved the Barolo Museum, and one day we toured the lovely Castello Grinzane. My only regret was not finding a truffle tour since they were in season. I guess I need to return soon!

It is a beautiful region with amazing people so whatever you do will be spectacular! Enjoy!
Old Oct 28th, 2022, 12:18 PM

We used La Morra as a base for Piedmont and stayed at Roche Costamagna right before Christmas. Wonderful hotel and beautiful time of year to visit this area. We drove to Turin and stayed at The Turin Palace hotel, highly recommended. Easy walking to sights and restaurants from this hotel.
Old Oct 29th, 2022, 07:49 AM
Original Poster

[QUOTE=maitaitom;17409959]We spent four nights in La Morra at a fantastic property, Rocche Costamagna Art Suites, in 2018. Alba would also be a great base to see the area. Chapters Ten - Fourteen cover our time in Piemonte hill towns and Chapters Fifteen - Seventeen detail Turin. Must return !
Thanks, Tom! We just left bologna and looked at that portion of your great report.

celticmoon - thank you! You are the second person =13pxrecommending that place to stay. I ill check it out.

KamariMullen -- thanks! Yes, we plan to visit and stay in Turin.

Half_Step - thank you for the info. I will look into your agriturisomo-it sounds lovely.

Old Nov 6th, 2022, 04:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies -- We decided to stay at an apt in LaMorra for our base.

Originally Posted by plambers
What dates are you in LaMorra? We are staying a week beginning 17 May.

Last edited by yestravel; Nov 6th, 2022 at 05:27 AM.
Old Nov 6th, 2022, 05:27 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by plambers
What dates are you in LaMorra? We are staying a week beginning 17 May. (Sorry for duplicate! Cant seem to delete it.)
Old Nov 6th, 2022, 05:45 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We stayed at a Fodors Forum recommended property, Vill Favorita in Alba.. Room was large with good A/C. We chose a room in the rear of the building overlooking the gardens. It is up the hill, overlooking Alba. Car would be needed.