Reload this Page >

Best Time to Visit Germany?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2nd, 2001, 08:40 AM
Kendra

My husband and I are considering a trip to Germany next May. How crowded will tourist sites, etc. be in early May? Does anyone know if there are any school vacations around that time (I figure the Easter breaks will be over by then since Easter is in March next year)?<BR><BR>How about weather in early May? We'll be mostly in Bavaria. Thanks!

Old Jul 2nd, 2001, 10:58 AM
Maira

I visited Bavaria in late May in 1997 and it was glorious. Take a windbreaker or leather jacket and an umbrella, but the crowds were much milder and the beauty of late Spring-early summer is amazing. Don't forget to visit Ettal, Oberammergau, Garmish, Berchestgaden, etc. I recalled temps in the upper 60's, which was not bad sightseeing weather.

Old Jul 2nd, 2001, 11:24 AM
Lee

Kendra, I have to second Maira on all of the above. May is about the best month and late May in particular. <BR><BR>We spent ten days from the last week of May until early June (in '99) starting off in the middle Rhine, heading to Munich, Salzburg, then back into the Garmisch/Ettal/Oberammergau area before heading back through Dinkelsbuhl, Rothenburg and finally, Frankfurt. We usually ate outside and the temps ranged from the high 60's to low 80's. Very pleasant, great memories. <BR><BR>This way, you can get decent weather and avoid the summer crowds at the same time.

Old Jul 4th, 2001, 07:35 PM
Kathy

Just returned from a June 13-21 stay in Bavaria. Weather was cool most of the time. Wore sweater and light nylon jacket most days. More rain than anticipated. Still had a wonderful time! Tourist sites not crowded at all!

Old Jul 4th, 2001, 08:10 PM
janis

Most European schools are out for summer breaks from early or mid July to very early Sept so most of the tourist sites don't get really crowded until that short period. Except for special festivals, events, etc. So if you can go in May or June you get the advantages of good or great weather and sparse crowds. July and August are the killers - it seems that everyone in Europe is on holiday in August. <BR> <BR>And a big plus is that you can still get very good airfares all the way til the end of June. So late spring is one of the best times to visit.

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 09:31 AM
Kendra

Thanks for the advice!

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 10:27 AM
Mika

I am going to say just the opposite: if you want to stay in the big towns in Germany, go there in July, because the Germans go south for the holidays and the towns are empty. <BR>http://www.timesystem.com/local_page...ice/ferien.htm <BR>=the holidays in Germany.