Reload this Page >

Amsterdam/Brugge/Frankfurt in 5 days

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4th, 2001, 07:10 PM
Lynn

My college age daughter and I will meet my husband in Frankfurt and plan to drive to Amsterdam and Brugge. We want to drive to Amsterdam the first day, a Friday in August. Is this reasonable? We'd like to spend 1-2 days there and then drive to Brugge (1-2 days) skipping Brussels; then, return to Frankfurt for the return flight. <BR> <BR>What would be a scenic return route from Brugge to Frankfurt? We enjoy hiking, museums, and food. From the threads I've read, hotels in Amsterdam are heavily booked in the summer, and especially on weekends. Should we consider reversing our route so we are in Amsterdam on a weekday? Does this plan sound too hectic? What are other alternatives that include Amsterdam? What about B&Bs? We really liked them in Britain.

Old Jul 4th, 2001, 09:42 PM
Sjoerd

Frankfurt to Amsterdam is about a 5 to 6 hour drive (all Autobahn/Autoweg/Motorway) It doesn't really matter if you are in Amsterdam on a weekday or weekend. best is to reserve a hotel in advance. Make sure to ask the hotel for directions to the nearest parking garage. Count on spending about NLG 50 (US$ 19) per day to park your car. After parking, don't touch your car again until you leave Amsterdam. <BR>Amsterdam to Brugge is about 3 hours via Antwerpen, but consider the more scenic interesting route via Zeeland province. Brugge is beautiful, but can be seen in one day. <BR>Hiking is good in the Belgian and Luxembourg Ardennes and in the German Eifel, which are all on your way from Brugge to Frankfurt. Enjoy your trip.

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 01:59 AM
Lynn

Many thanks, Sjoerd. Any suggestions about visiting Brussels, Ghent or Brugge?

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 10:04 AM
Marcie

We did a similar itinerary last summer. I loved Brugge! Amsterdam was OK, but I would have preferred having that time spent in Brussels. Brussels is very interesting,it just doesn't get the kudos like Brugge does.

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 10:32 AM
justtrying

Maybe this is a stupid idea, but it does not sound like Germany/Frankfurt is really on your agenda, except to drive through. If you can, why don't you and your daughter fly into Amsterdam. Lots of good flights to that city. Your husband can meet you there. You would then have approx. 2 more days to sightsee (rather than taking 5 hours back and forth to Frankfurt). And you wouldn't have to travel for 5 hours after being on a long flight. Just a thought