Reload this Page >

Best time for Venice?

Search

Best time for Venice?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16th, 1999, 07:00 PM
J. Thompson

Best time for Venice?

I am planning to take my wife to Venice for our 10th Anniversary (she's always wanted to go, and we lived in Heidelberg, Germany for a year, but didn't make it due to her being pregnant for much of that time). Our anniversary is in January. Should we go around that time, or hold off until spring. Thanks for your help! <BR>J

Old Sep 16th, 1999, 11:16 PM
Ada

May or October might be much nicer! <BR>Avoid the summers. Venice is hot and humid. The winter (January) might be cold. <BR>Happy anniversary!

Old Sep 17th, 1999, 04:42 AM
elaine

My answer to your question would be <BR>"anytime". <BR>I have not been there in winter, and I am sure you will encounter some cold and rainy weather. However, you will have the advantage of the absence of crowds, which in Venice is a significant problem in the summer. There have been articles extolling the advantages of Venice in winter, but of course the weather is not one of them. <BR>I was there in very early October and the crowds were minimal and the weather pleasant--cool in the morning, quite warm (high 70s) in the afternoon. I had one day of drizzle. A week after I was there, a combination of heavy rain and high tide flooded San Marco square on one day. <BR>There are many weather web sites but the Washington Post has one that includes historical weather data which may help you. <BR>http://www.weatherpost.com <BR>Have a wonderful trip whenever you go. <BR>

Old Sep 17th, 1999, 09:48 AM
denny

My family visited Venice in February a couple years ago. It was during Carnivale - a fabulous time! Every night people were dressed up in wonderful costumes. The city is uncrowded, the locals are friendly, the lines to tourist spots are short. The weather ranged from damp and drizzly to sunny and warm. Just wear layers, carry an umbrella, and you'll be fine. It is a magical place. Enjoy!

Old Sep 17th, 1999, 10:43 AM
Dona

I've been to Venice many times - usually in September/October - but also once for New Year's and once for Carnivale. All are wonderful... <BR> <BR>In winter, it's cold - and can be rainy or snowy. But snow and fog in Venice are magical, and the crowds are less. If you're dressed for it, it's fabulous. <BR> <BR>On the other hand, when the weather is a bit warmer, you have more people but you can take advantage of more outdoor dining (rather than having to go from one fabulous cafe to another to stay warm...) <BR> <BR>You can't go wrong with either - have a wonderful celebration... <BR>

Old Sep 17th, 1999, 12:47 PM
Beth

I visited Venice in October and it was wonderful. Absolutely no crowds. The weather was beautiful. Warm days and cool nights. When I go back, it will be in early October. I do agree though that Venice is magical, no matter the time of year. Enjoy your anniversary! <BR>

Old Sep 18th, 1999, 10:01 AM
Lola

Go anytime but summer, when it becomes more like a crowded "themepark of Venice," than a real destination. If you don't mind the cold, nothing could be more romantic than misty Venice, sans tourists, in winter. But then I wear silk underwear, a cashmere sweater and a warm coat and adore winter in any part of Europe.

Old Sep 21st, 1999, 11:31 AM
Rod Hoots

My wife was born and raised in Venice and I've spent about a year there. We agree with Ada - May or October. We also spent five years in Heidelberg and thoroughly enjoyed it. Why not combine the two? Enjoy! <BR>

Old Sep 27th, 1999, 07:23 AM
Gina

We just came back from a trip which included three days in Venice in mid-September. Though it was still pretty crowded in the Piazza, and the front seats on the #1 vaporetto were still at a premium, the crowds had ebbed from their summer peak. It was surprisingly hot--80s--so it might well be worth it to wait even a bit longer and, as others have said, go in early October and enjoy early fall in a much calmer Venice. <BR> <BR>It's a magical city. Have a wonderful time!