Reload this Page >

Just Back from Paris, Venice, etc.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27th, 1999, 06:11 AM
Gina

...last night! And I'm at work today, mostly not working and dreaming about when I can next go back. <BR> <BR>We were there a little over two weeks, in Paris, the French Alps (Chamonix), Venice, Munich, and Amsterdam. It was a *wonderful* trip from beginning to end and when I'm less jet-lagged and behind at work, I'll try to do a full trip report. But in the meantime I wanted to offer info, tips, updates, whatever to anyone who may be leaving for these places soon...and also to seek commiseration from fellow post-European-trip-depression sufferers. <BR> <BR>Oh, for those of you who offered your kind advice on the chopped-off fourth day in Paris, we did decide to skip Versailles and spend all of our three days in Paris itself. I'm *very* glad we did. <BR> <BR>More later!

Old Sep 27th, 1999, 07:32 AM
Tricia

Glad you had such a brilliant trip! <BR> <BR>We're off to Venice at the beginning of November and would welcome any suggestions of where we might stay. Obviously at this time of the year we're not interested in the beach and would be looking for a nice hotel, central and near good restaurants. Moderately priced - not 'The Ritz'!

Old Sep 27th, 1999, 07:35 AM
Mary Beth

We're going to Venice for two days in December (after time in Rome), and would like to stay near St. Mark's Square. We will be six -- my husband and me, plus four young adults (our children and a niece). Any special recommendations???

Old Sep 27th, 1999, 07:35 AM
Mary Beth

We're going to Venice for two days in December (after time in Rome), and would like to stay near St. Mark's Square. We will be six -- my husband and me, plus four young adults (our children and a niece). Any special recommendations???

Old Sep 27th, 1999, 07:39 AM
Gina

We stayed at Casa Gerotto, in Campo San Geremia, which offers very nice accommodations for the *low* budget end of the spectrum but may be even more budget than you're looking for. We paid 110,000 lira/night for a room with two single beds--large room, high ceilings, big windows with view of the Campo, shower and toilets down the hall (but close). <BR> <BR>The only real negative I can think of is the 12:30 curfew (they lock the front door until 7 am). There's not a lot of nightlife in Venice, so that's not a *huge* thing, but it's something to be aware of. It's also near the train station, right off Lista di Spagna, so it's not near the *best* restaurants I can think of (although it's not too far of a walk from a couple of neat places in a closer part of Cannaregio to San Marco, Ai Tre Spedi and another I can't remember). <BR> <BR>It's definitely

Old Sep 27th, 1999, 07:43 AM
Gina

Oops, cut myself off there! I was about to say "It's definitely one of the most affordable places we could find in Venice, and for the budget level was *more* than worth it, but we were traveling one notch above backpacker level, so keep that in mind. <BR> <BR>Mary Beth, I'm not sure about accommodations nearer St. Mark's. I've heard good things about a place called the San Samuele, and I can look up their contact info in my Time Out Venice and post it later. Have a wonderful time--I fell in love with Venice! (And fell in love *in* Venice--but that's another tale...)