Best things to do in london with jet lag

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17th, 2007, 09:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really dont want to waste any time in london, even with a case of jet lag. I arrive very early in the morning on a thursday- So what are the best things to do in london with jet lag? I was thinking some of the smaller museums but haven't researched them much. I don't want to do any of the things that involve alot of concentration like the tower, a globe play, british museum, etc... any suggestions?
Old Jun 17th, 2007, 10:09 AM

When arriving early and fighting jetlag, I always find walking the best remedy. I usually walk through Hyde Park/Kensington Park to Harrods. Have a look there, stop for tea or lunch at Richoux's and stop at a bookstore for reading material.London is great for walking and there are plenty of parks to enjoy.Stop for lunch or tea at the Orangery in Kensington Park.

I would hesitate at going to any museums.For me they requie too much concentration. What about the Hop On-Hop Off bus for a start.Perhaps one of the London Walks.

The British Museum is certainly not one of the smaller ones. If still inclined toward museums, I suggest the Wallace Collection or the Courtauld Gallery.
Old Jun 17th, 2007, 10:10 AM

If you haven't done it yet, a Big Bus or Original London hop on/hop off tour. It will orient you to the major sights, require little effort on your part, and if you fall asleep through some of it, you can just circle round again.
Old Jun 17th, 2007, 01:56 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
No museums normally - even small ones -- you would be inside in a possibly very warm bldg, and having to concentrate.

Fresh air is your friend. A combo of the H-o-H-o buses, walking and maybe a thames cruise would be good. Hop off the bus whenever you want to see something, then hop on another bus to continue the tour. And if the weather is nice even eat outside - like at Inn the Park in St James Park (the name confuses soem it is called "Inn the Park" ), or at the Orangerie in Kensington Gardens
Old Jun 17th, 2007, 02:30 PM

How about a London Walk? You can just stumble along on the fringes of the crowd. http://www.walks.com
Old Jun 17th, 2007, 05:30 PM

On an open top tour bus will blow the cobwebs away while showing you the layout of the city.
Old Jun 17th, 2007, 05:42 PM

We land very early (flying in from the East coast) and usually drop off our bags at the hotel and go out to breakfast. Then walking somewhere - the Big Ben/Houses of Parliament/Westminster area can't be beat for a first time visitor. In fact, breakfast at Inn the Park in St. James Park, which is convenient to that Westminster area would be perfect. I'd arrange for reservations first. You can then walk around Westminster, then across the bridge to the South Bank and ride the London Eye to orient yourself. There's lots of great walking along the South Bank.

Others will advise against it, but we always take an hour nap (very important to set your alarm and not sleep too long) in the early afternoon. Then a nice dinner and bed around 10, and you'll be set for the next morning.

On my last visit to London (my third) we did our shopping on the first day, window shopping on Old and New Bond Streets, and checking in the high street shops on Oxford St. - after breakfast at the Wolseley.

I would advise advance reservations if you want to do breakfast at somewhere like the Wolseley or Inn the Park - We land around 7am, and I reserve for 10am. You can always call from the hotel (or airport) if the time is going to vary by much.
Old Jun 17th, 2007, 06:04 PM

We are leaving for London in a few weeks. For our first day, we are going to do the double decker bus tour and ride the London Eye. I'm hoping I can handle that with my 2 kids in tow!
Old Jun 17th, 2007, 06:06 PM

I am glad to see others suggesting parks. We have spent the first of a couple of trips to England wandering the parks after an early arrival. Kensington Park, Hyde Park, Green Park, St James Park. All are lovely with lots to see and experience. We wandered until we had to nap for an hour, then showered and dressed and had a pleasant dinner.
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 08:13 AM

My kids did not sleep at all on the plane ride over, and they ended up sleeping through most of hte double decker bus ride. We were very happy to just sit and look out the window!
Old Jul 14th, 2007, 08:03 AM

I believe in the walk outside, no nap, early to bed philosophy to get my body and mind on track with local time. In the past, we have gone to the Tower of London when we arrived in London. It is a good 3-4 hour activity, both indoors and outdoors. Last time, the kids were with us and loved the hands-on activities at the museum. I don't find that it requires much concentration. This year, just my husband and I will be on the trip, so I think we will try a self-guided walk, such as the Jubilee walk through the heard of London, or the Thames path from Richmond into London.
Old Jul 14th, 2007, 08:05 AM

P.S. We also had a picnic lunch in Kensington Gardens and let the kids play on the Princess Diana playground.
Old Jul 14th, 2007, 10:02 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I would either have a walking tour mapped out for myself, or take a city overview type of bus tour. Lots of walking and fresh air is the best jet lag cure (then lunch with a few glasses of wine, and a short nap).

I know some people don't believe in naps, but my jet lag is so bad if I don't, I feel horrible for days. If I give in and rest, I feel better more quickly.
Old Sep 1st, 2007, 06:05 AM

I agree - a *limited* nap is the way to go. I travel transatlantic regularly and I am not functional without a 2 hour nap the first day. Depending on when you get in...if you get in due to connections or late arrivals after 4 or 5 then a nap is pointless - just stay up for a couple of hours walking around and getting some dinner, then to bed. If you get arrive in the morning however, try to stay up until after lunch, then take a 2 hour nap. Be strict about no longer than 2 hours, you won't want to get up but you must. Then you can have a half a day of activities, walking, etc.
Also, I have found I need to avoid caffeine after noon, so that I can sleep at night, and to reset my internal-caffeine-regulated-clock.

Ellen C.
Old Sep 1st, 2007, 06:14 AM
ira

Hi I,

We always spend our first day walking around, scouting the neighborhood, and not doing anything that requires more thought than whether it is a 1 or 2E coin.

Old Sep 1st, 2007, 06:40 AM

First, I don't take the flight that arrives London early in the morning any more as for me it just makes the day too long. I now arrive in the early afternoon, take a 2 to 3 hour train ride, shower at the B&B, a small, but nice dinner and in bed by 7pm. Having said all of that, on those occasions when I did arrive early, say 6:30 or so, I just kept moving until I couldn't manage futher, take a 2 hour nap and off again for a later dinner. I found that I would sleep until 6 to 7 in the morning and seemed to be ok for the rest of the trip. We all react different, so take what has been said with a grain of salt. Listen to your body and if you need rest, take it.
Old Sep 1st, 2007, 03:59 PM

Walk, ride the top of a double decker bus, have tea then take a short nap before dinner.
It never failed me
Old Sep 6th, 2007, 08:32 AM

St James Park is just off the Mall, 2 mins walk from Trafalgar Square and is a wonderful park to walk around. You could start at the Palace and end up in Trafalgar Square. My favourite London park is Regent's Park but you might find that is too far out for you.

Just off Picadilly (the street, not the 'Circus') is Burlington Arcade, a very English shopping arcade filled with tiny little boutique shops, and that leads you nicely to Jermyn Street, the home of traditional english gentleman's clothing and grooming apparel.
Old Sep 6th, 2007, 10:18 AM

I agree with Steve about St James, it is a lovely area. (I am not much for the areas packed with people like P. Circus or Trafalgar). This area gives you some space to walk, breathe, and take it all in. I enjoyed watching a changing of the guard at St James Palace, which is I believe one of the handful of buildings in London that survived the great fire in the 1600's. And the arcades are indeed very historic and lovely. There was an article in the NY Times this or last year about the historical aspect of the London arcades.

Steve, when I was in London last week there were, sadly, a lot of transient people sleeping in Regents park and in the surrounding streets. I didn't see this in the other parks, but perhaps it is ubiquitous? Would like to hear your take on this as I am guessing you reside in London?

Ellen C.
[email protected]
Old Sep 6th, 2007, 11:21 AM

Hi Ellen,

Glad you enjoyed St James - it really is picturesque yet so easy to get to. It's a shame you saw a number of homeless people on your trip to Regents Park, as it's such a nice place. It's not especially known for attracting homeless people, I must say. But I guess any large park will attract some. There were probably some in St James Park too, but perhaps less noticable amongst the crowds? It's one of the negative aspects of London, I'm afraid.

(As a footnote, there are comprehensive benefits available in the UK and there is no actual need for anyone to be out on the streets. The fact that there are is down to issues such as addiction/ mental illness etc. Also, homeless charities ask people never to give money to beggars in London since the money only goes on drink/drugs.)