Reload this Page >

Best street maps.

Search

Best street maps.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 08:15 AM
Lois

Best street maps.

I need advice on what the best detailed and up-to-date street maps for Rome and Florence are, and where I can purchase them. Thanks

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 08:20 AM
Book Chick

Without a doubt the "Streetwise" maps are the best & can be purchased at Border's.<BR><BR>Buon Viaggio,<BR>BC

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 09:07 AM
JOdy

I second the Streetwise maps...excellent, durable and easy to read! I got mine at Borders and picked up several different ones to plan future trips!

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 09:12 AM
Carol

<BR>We found the National Geographic map for Rome to be excellent. We bought it at Barnes & Noble.<BR><BR>In Florence, so many times we found ourselves wondering "what is this?" and the map or guidebook didn't have photos. So we bought the Eyewitness Guide to Florence/Tuscany at the Duomo gift shop. They have tons of photos with a brief description, and our questions were answered instantly. <BR><BR>Have fun.

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 09:31 AM
elaine

I am a fan of Streetwise also, but I found for Rome that I occasionally needed more detail because some small streets weren't labeled on Streetwise.<BR>So I'm very glad I had also brought Michelin's Roma Tascabile, a 5X8" spiral booklet with complete detail, a section of Rome on each page, and an alpha listing of all streets.Amazon carries it.

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 09:56 AM
ellen

I had Streetwise with me in Rome but it didn't have all the small streets and alleys. Most newstands and tobacco shops sell a small map book showing sections of Rome on different pages. It's good to have both - one for the overall view and the other for the details.

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 10:19 AM
richardab

I agree! Streetwise maps for Rome are the most accurate. Since they are folded and laminated they are also easy to carry around. My friend also just returned from Rome and the first thing he said was that the Rome streetwise map was the best thing he brought with him. The Flortence one is also very good.

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 10:24 AM
Amy

Ditto for Streetwise. For both Paris and Rome, we also bought thin "booklet" type maps as an additional resource. Most of the time, however, we're trying to get our bearings, not trying to find some alley, so the Streetwise maps are fabulous. In fact, I make sure my kids carry one to help out with the navigating.

Old Apr 28th, 2002, 10:16 AM
Terry

My husband and I just left Rome. We used the guide book "Access Rome." It was great map wise and also recommendation wise. All the restaurants we tried that they recommended were great. We wish we had bought the Access book for Venice and Florence but we are winging it on our own as I write this message.

Old Apr 28th, 2002, 10:32 AM
Ron

The Streetwise ones are popular and readily available, but we much prefer the laminated ones put out by B&B City Streets

Old Apr 28th, 2002, 05:09 PM
Lori

Streetwise, definitely altho National Geographic maps are also good -- a bit more unwieldy though. You can both kinds alot of places: Barnes & Noble, Rand McNally, the ubiquitous Borders. You can order Streetwise on the web, National Geo too I think. The problem is that they just don't cover every city you might want a map for -- for instance Streetwise does not make a map for Seville. But I treasure the ones I have!

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 06:34 AM
Pauline

I use either B&B City Streets or Insight Map. Both laminated & both highlight main tourist sites & hotels.