Reload this Page >

Best skiing in Europe with lessons ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 10:41 AM
Steve

What is the best choice for skiing in Europe on Christmas week? <BR>1. We are group of beginner and intermediate skiers.<BR>2. Some of us will have snowboarding classes.<BR>3. Gourmet food is important for us.<BR>4. Sightseeing, shopping, quality of service..<BR>Thank,<BR>Steve

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 11:45 AM
Sue

Since that's relatively early for dependable snow, I'd suggest some place where there is a glacier, like Stubai glacier near Innsbruck. And Innsbruck would have sightseeing, shopping ,good food (don't know about "gourmet", tho.<BR>Since my family and I went to Fr. Alps couple of yrs. ago, I've been watching snow patterns in Alps, and it is so variable. Generally speaking, the farther north you go, the best chance of early snow, but 2 yrs. ago, the southerly Fr. and Italian Alps had the best early dumps. <BR>Monica at www.all-mountain.com really knows the areas, etc., and can be very helpful. She has planned 3 ski trips for my family.<BR>

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 01:26 PM
Andre

Steve,<BR><BR>Sounds like you should head for St. Moritz. <BR><BR>It's the only resort I know which has both the pampering and the high altitude location (about 1800 m.). The Suvretta House Hotel is supposed to be great (and they have their own ski lift to the slopes) and you simply MUST eat at J&ouml;hri's Talvo.<BR><BR>Megeve (France), Gstaad (Switzerland)and Cortina d'Ampezzo (Italy) are all great for food and shopping but snow could be a real issue in December.<BR><BR>Another nice resort is Lech in Austria - more low key though.<BR><BR>By the way, IMO opinion Christmas week is unfortunately the worst time of the year to go skiing - terribly expensive, crowded and iffy snow conditions. Can't you go mid Jan?<BR><BR>Andre

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 09:11 PM
Ingo

Steve,<BR><BR>I second Andre's suggestions. Have been to St. Moritz several times for skiing.<BR><BR>It is probably the best place for Gourmet food in the Alps. You will find Gourmet restaurants not only in the villages, but also right IN the skiing area.<BR><BR>Sightseeing, shopping, quality of service ... all it its best!<BR><BR><BR><BR>Ingo

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 09:20 PM
Shannon

Hey, Andre,<BR>How about Wirrehorn? Did I spell that right?

Old Jun 15th, 2002, 08:11 AM
Ingo

Wiriehorn.<BR><BR>small, but fine skiing area in the Diemtigtal valley. quite low altitude.<BR><BR>Ingo