Reload this Page >

Best sightseeing on a daytrip from Stirling

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 05:03 PM
Michelle

We are staying at a B&B near Stirling at the end of June. We will have one full day to take in the sights nearby. Can you suggest an itinerary that would be appealing to adults and teenage boys who love history and beautiful scenery. Suggestions for a lunch stop would be most helpful.<BR><BR>Also, on another day we will be driving from<BR>Stirling to Edinburgh. Can you suggest an interesting drive which would include a stop at St. Andrews? Again, lunch suggestions are appreciated. Thank you.

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 06:37 PM
Babs

Try and get to the William Wallace Monument (Braveheart) in Stirling my husband and teenage son enjoyed it very much. We also stopped off at Loch Lomond, had lunch and took the boat ride on the Loch. The scenery is very beautiful with lots of castles, it's worth the time.

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 08:58 PM
janis

For a family here is what I would recommend:<BR><BR>North to Crieff and west along Loch Earn, north to Killen and the Falls of Dochart (really remarkable massive river rapids running through the center of a lovely village), Then back south to Balquhidder where Rob Roy and his wife are buried in a tiny churchyard, to Callander, west along Loch Venachar, through the Queen Elizabeth Forest Park, the lake of Menteith and back to Stirling. <BR><BR>This route will have lots of fabulous scenery especially along Loch Earn, at Killen, QE Forest Park and Loch venacher. Plus really interesting sites - Rob Roy's grave and especially Inchmahome Priory in the Lake of Menteith. You take a gov't launch out to the island and can spend as long as you like - the boat bascially picks you up and takes you back to the mainland on demend.<BR><BR>Thinking more about this route, I would do it in reverse - Lake of Menteith &gt; QE Forest park &gt; Balquhidder &gt; etc. This way the only places with entrance times will be a the beginning of your tour so you won't have to worry to be anywhere by a specific time.<BR><BR>Lots of places to eat - Killen, Callander, Comrie, Crieff. But the best would be to take a simple picnic out to Inchmahome and eat on the island looking out over the lake, Churchyard and swans.<BR><BR>

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 11:12 PM
Sheila

Edinburgh to Stirling? Are you taking a day to do it. Otherwise, you wouldn't go near St Andrews. They're less than an hour apart

Old Jun 15th, 2002, 03:11 AM
Michelle

Thank you, Babs and Janis, for the Stirling daytrip suggestions. Sheila, we would like to take a scenic drive of about four to five hours from Stirling to Edinburgh (where we will be staying a couple days). This would include lunch and St. Andrews, my husband's special request!

Old Jun 15th, 2002, 08:35 AM
janis

Stirling &gt; St Andrews &gt; Lunch &gt; Edinburgh would take longer than 4-5 hours if you want to do more than just drive through the outskirts of St Andrews. I assume the point is to see the Old Course. Once he is actually there you will spend a MINIMUM of an hour just looking at the R&A, holes 1 - 4 and 16 - 18. That is not including the golf museum or anything else in St Andrews. if you happen to be there on a Sunday - there is no play on the Old Course and it becomes a vast city park. You can walk the entire course - step into Hell bunker, cross the bridge, check out the road hole.<BR><BR>And besides the course there is the castle, cathedral, the university bldgs.<BR><BR>I would plan on a whole day Stirling &gt; St Andrews &gt; Lunch &gt; Edinburgh, or skip it entirely.

Old Jun 16th, 2002, 05:03 AM
Sheila

Marginally different answer to Janis's. (but she's right- you should take the whole day)<BR><BR>Stilring- St Andrews.<BR><BR>Stirling M9 then M876 to Kincardine Bridge (12 miles motorway- then 4 miles to Culross- lovely village) 12 miles on through Dunfermilne to M90, north to Kinross (14 miles), where you take the signposted route to St Andrews (A 91)(26 miles). Travel distance 62 miles. time, including a break in Culross, 2 hours.<BR><BR>Whatever time you need in St Andrews, then follow the coast road 35 miles round through Kinsbarns, Crail, Anstruther, Pittenweem, St Monans, Elie, Earlsferry, Lower Largo, Leven, to Kircaldy. With looking 2 minutes at each pretty village, say 1 1/2 hours. Half an hour on dual carriageway, Kircaldy to Edinburgh provided it's not rush hour.<BR><BR>Best I can do.

Old Jun 16th, 2002, 11:08 AM
janis

If you do decide to take the whole day, follow Sheila's advice to visit the East Neuk fishing villages (and Culross if you leave yourself enough time)<BR><BR>Every time I am in Fife I stay in Crail (my favorite) and visit Anstruther and Pittenweem and a few others. They are all lovely.<BR><BR>You probably won't have time for this, but one of my favorite things to do in Fife is take the boat trip from Anstruther to the Isle of May. Tiny island, three lighthouses, and many species of sea birds. Walking along a path with thousands of Puffins flying all around you - WOW!

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 12:39 PM
Michelle

I like to have a plan when we set off for the day and your suggestions are most helpful. I can see, though, that this trip isn't going to be long enough...