Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How to get from Sorbonne to Montparnase station?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 01:27 AM
joyce

I need to be at Montpanase staion by 9 .00am. What is the best way to get there from the Hotel de la Sorbonne? We will have a suitcase each to carry. How long do we need to allow for the journey? Thanks in advance for your help!

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 01:39 AM
Ursula

Joyce: Supposing that the Hotel Sorbonne is somewhere in the 5th, take a cab. Easiest thing. Count about 15-20 min. at the most. Depends however on the traffic situation. But it's not far at all.<BR>Ask your hotel to order the cab the evening before. It will cost a little more this way, but like that, you will be sure to have a taxi and to be at Montparnasse station in time.<BR>Should not cost much more than some 10 Euro. Just my personal estimation though.<BR>

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 03:08 AM
BTilke

Cab would be easiest, but if your budget is tight and you need to take the metro, get on the St. Michel metro stop on the #4 line, direction Porte d'Orleans. Goes straight to Montparnasse. About 5 stops. <BR>BTilke (Brussels)

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 04:00 AM
Fred

By metro? Walk over to the Odeon Station (a few blocks) and take the train direction Porte d'Orleans. Get off at station Montparnasse. For more Paris information e-mail me: [email protected]

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 12:53 PM
Christina

I've stayed in that hotel and it's not near the St Michel stop at all. That is a very inconvenient location to take metro or RER to Montparnasse as it's near the Luxembourg RER stop. I'd take a cab. If you want to take public transportation, the best way by far IMO is to take the RER at Luxembourg (only about 2 blocks from the hotel) to Denfert Rochereau and transfer to either line 4 or line 6 which both go to Montparnasse station. The Odeon or St-Michel stops are probl about 1/3 mile away, I think.

Old Jun 15th, 2002, 07:24 AM
xxx

Taking the RER at Luxembourg is no more convenient or involves less walking than taking the metro from St. Michel. The RER does not run as often as the metro and I would not want to change at Denfert Rochereau. It's one of the most notorious stops for pickpockets and it's a long walk from the RER stop to the metro portion to get to Montparnasse. Take a cab.

Old Jun 15th, 2002, 07:29 AM
glenda

Ask the hotel desk if they have a shuttle service...I found it to be the least expensive and made me feel least stress about getting somewhere on time...worth the few eros more...

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 12:26 PM
joyce

If I take a cab are we likely to have problems with traffic jams at that time in the morning?<BR>

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 12:42 PM
Andre

Joyce,<BR><BR>Book the cab for 8:00.<BR><BR>You'll probably be early and have time to buy snacks and the paper - even if there's LOTS of traffic, you'll still make it to your train by 8:30.<BR><BR>Bon voyage,<BR><BR>Andre