Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Best route to travel from Korcula to Mostar?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10th, 2013, 08:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be leaving Korcula by car on May 3rd and plan to drive to Mostar. The most direct route looks to be to take the ferry from Trpanj to Ploce and then drive to Mostar from there. The ferry is said to take 1 hour but it is recommended that that you arrive at the ferry 1 hour beforehand to make sure you get on board. Would we better just driving back down the Penninsula and driving to Mostar that way? ...from what I can tell that would be about the same time wise. Has anyone done either one or both? Any insight would be appreciated (we will be coming from Dubrovnik on the way to Korcula so will have already done that drive once.). Thanks for your help
Old Mar 10th, 2013, 10:00 PM
kja

Since Korcula is an island, you will need to take one of the ferries under any scenario.
Old Mar 10th, 2013, 11:59 PM

I've driven both routes. No time to write more now as I have to go to work, but will reply later.
Old Mar 11th, 2013, 11:08 AM

I drove Split to Mostar via the Adriatic Highway crossing the border at Metkovic, and back from Mostar to Dubrovnik, crossing again at Metkovic. I drove the Peljesac Peninsula to Orebic on my way back to Split and to avoid backtracking (twice, once the peninsula and once the coast road) I took the Trpanj/Ploce ferry.

I wrote about that trip here...

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...llet-holes.cfm

...but actually didn't finish the bit about the return journey. I did write about it somewhere on another thread, but heaven knows where that is now!

Anyway, the drive from Dubrovnik to Orebic is easy. I left my car there and took the passenger ferry over to Korcula, but whatever you do you will have to get a ferry back to Orebic.

Trpanj is a pleasant enough little place. However despite turning up an hour before the last ferry of the day I was lucky to get on it. In fact I was the very last vehicle allowed on and it was so tight I could not open the car door (but that's another story!). Seriously, the guys doing the boarding seemed to let a lot of other vehicles board ahead of me who weren't in the queue. I suppose they were locals going home to the mainland - and I also suppose that if it were us in our home town we would be miffed if tourists were allowed on the last ferry home ahead of us. So allow a decent amount of time if getting the last ferry.

The ride isn't particularly scenic, and Ploce is quite an industrial town. Frankly if I were to do it again I would drive back down the Peljesac Peninsula as it does have some great scenery and views, and the driver really can't see that much just doing it the one time.

I've also driven from Split to Sarajevo, and back via Mostar - though this time I took some back roads (I still shiver when I think of some of them!) which I wrote about here...

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...t-explores.cfm

Also search out the trip reports by vttraveler as she has done some similar drives in BiH and Croatia.
Old Mar 11th, 2013, 07:12 PM
Original Poster

Hi kja and Julia_T...thanks for responding. I am very aware that to get to Korcula I will need to take THAT particular ferry...but my question is about whether to take the Trpanj to Ploce ferry or drive down the Peninsula... Thanks for your thoughts Julia....so from what you're saying is that it is risky if you can actually get on the ferry at Trpanj in the first place---and the drive down the Peninsula is nice. About the only downside that way is the fact that my husband will have an extra hour or so of driving--is that correct?

Does anyone else have any input about the Trpanj -- Ploce ferry?
Old Mar 11th, 2013, 07:35 PM
kja

> I am very aware that to get to Korcula I will need to take THAT particular ferry

Hmm... My admittedly outdated Rough Guide seems to suggest that there are other car ferries to/from Korcula....
Old Mar 13th, 2013, 01:39 PM

we have driven on the penninsula and as julia t says it is a scenic drive which would not be boring to repeat in the opposite direction. There are vineyards along the way and the towns of Ston/Mali Ston to visit. On the road from Ploce to Mostar, the small Ottoman town of Počitelj is a good place to stop for coffee/to explore a little if you have time.
Old Mar 13th, 2013, 08:12 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Vttraveler....I'm starting to lean towards just planning to drive back down the Peninsula just to avoid any potential hassle on the ferry from Trpanj. (unless anyone else can jump in with a convincing reason) Plus, it's good to have a place to stop on the way to Mostar. I'm also thinking we should stop at Blagaj on the way into Mostar. Is it worth it?
Old Mar 14th, 2013, 02:38 AM

I thought Blagaj was an interesting, worthwhile stop. Quite easy to do if you have your own car.
Old Mar 17th, 2013, 07:29 PM
Original Poster

Hi again Vttravelor...I saw on your other thread that you stopped at Blagaj on your leaving Mostar...and then drove to Split. When we leave Mostar we will be driving to Trogir...so my question is...should we plan to stop at Blagaj on the way to Mostar--or the next day when we leave and are on the way to Trogir. If I'm guess correctly we should have about the same drive time so not sure if that matters. What would you recommend...and how much time did you spend there? Also, in Mostar did you just tour on your own or get a guide. Thanks for your input....
Old Mar 18th, 2013, 03:34 AM

We spent about an hour and half at Blagaj. We could have spent more time sitting by the water with coffee or later in the day having trout for lunch. I don't think it makes too much difference which day you do it

We explored Mostar on our own/ We arrived via train from Sarajevo in the morning and spent the day touring, then stayed overnight