Best route from St Remy to Sarlat

Jan 23rd, 2006, 02:23 PM
Original Poster

Best route from St Remy to Sarlat

Hello everyone,

My hubby and I are spending a week in Provence and a week in Dordogne in Sept 2006. We do have a car and are trying to map the best route. So far it looks like we should go through Nimes, and Toulouse....is this the best route?

Also, is it possible to stop at Pont de Gard on the way?

Thanks so much!
Jamie
Jan 23rd, 2006, 02:42 PM

1. The Pont du Gard is an easy round-trip detour from Nimes, if you choose to go that way. But for me, the Pont du Gard was ruined by the floods of a few years back, which scraped away so much of the river bank that the site looked pretty sad when I last saw it.

2. The route from Toulouse to the Dordogne is delightful - speedy and also scenic, once you get away from the immediate environs of Toulouse.

3. An adventurous route is to cut north around Montpellier and take the new (and stunning) motorway toward Millau and then cut across to the west from St Severac le Chateau, reaching the Dordogne area by passing via Figeac.

The countryside from St S le Ch. is full of castles and manors but the route is rather slow...
Jan 23rd, 2006, 02:46 PM
Original Poster

Wow, thats great info...thank you!

I've seen the Pont, but my hubby wanted to see it! I'll chat with him and see what he thinks!
Jan 23rd, 2006, 08:36 PM
Original Poster

Any other thoughts?
Jan 23rd, 2006, 11:24 PM

Yes, look at www.mappy.com; www.viamichelin.com for routes. The autoroute is fast and attractive. The route via Millau is longer - but it is a fantastic bridge
Jan 24th, 2006, 06:02 AM
ira

Hi J,

I recommend the route through Millau. See www.viamichelin.com and click "avoiding tolls".

The Viaduc de Millau is a very, very high bridge. If you suffer from vertigo, it is not recommended.

You can go around the bridge through Millau.

Plan to spend some time in Figeac.

If you have the time to take the scenic route and make an overnight stop, you could also drive along the Coast past Narbonne to Carcassone.

From there take the N113 to the D629 to Revel. Beyond Revel take the D84 to Albi. From Albi, the D600 will bring you through Cordes Sur Ciel. Take the D91 to the D19, on to the N20 and Cahors. Take the N20 from Cahors to the D704 and on to Sarlat.

Hope this helps.

Jan 24th, 2006, 06:17 AM

I like ira's route. I'd also plan for a brief stop in Rodez if you have time. This is a long drive, though - if you have the time to spend a night on the way, you'd be able to see even more (Graulhet, Gaillac, Castelnau-de-Montmiral, Montolieu....)
Jan 28th, 2006, 01:07 PM

Hi. My wife and I are also driving to the Dordogne this summer from the Avignon vicinity. Going via Millau sounds like fun. Any suggestions as to where to spend a night between Avignon and the Dordogne if going by way of Millau?

Thanks in advance.
Jan 28th, 2006, 07:04 PM

Just found the recent thread on "overnight stops between Sarlat and St. Remy". I think that will answer my question.