Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Best/Romantic Restaurants on Amalfi Coast

Old Aug 20th, 2008, 09:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was hoping that I could get some suggestions for special and romantic restaurants in Amalfi, Positano, and Ravello or close by. My husband and I will be there next month, staying in Praiano, and we would love to hear suggestions of restaurants with great food, views, and ambiance.
Thanks so much.
Old Aug 20th, 2008, 01:39 PM

I hope you have a car otherwise my tip is not useful.
So, from Ravello, please drive to go to Tramonti, meaning far from the Amalfi Coast and close to the Valico di Chiunzi.
You will arrive in Tramonti and there I suggest you the CUCINA ANTICHI SAPORI (www.cucinaantichisapori.it).
I am sure, more than sure, that you will enjoy it.
The chef is Giuseppe, very clever; and his wife, Antonietta is the queen of the dining room.
Have a lovely trip, ciao.

Vincenzo
Old Aug 20th, 2008, 01:53 PM

Just two things to remember:

1) Great big huge meals in the Amalfi need time to settle before you get onto a bus or into a taxi to take the winding roads home. And you definitely don't want to drink wine with your meal if you are driving, and that goes triple if you are eating in Ravello and driving back to Praiano -- but I wouldn't do it anywhere. You might find the most romantic dinners you can have are within walking distance of your hotel.

2) I live in a remote, hilly part of Italy, and there is something of a rule of thumb there that good sea views seldom make for good food. If a restaurant owner can pull foreign daytrippers in with a great view, he or she will never go out of business, no matter the quality of the food. If the locals have to drive out of their way to get to a restaurant, the food better be fantastic, or else the place is going to close.

It's also the case that most of the great real estate along the Amalfi is no longer owned by locals, who ran family trattorias. They sold out for a fortune and now enjoy living in Roma!

All that said, I very much enjoyed my meals at the family-owned (two generations) Da Salvatore in Ravello, which has lovely sea views, although I think they are nicer in the daylight than at night.

Old Aug 20th, 2008, 03:30 PM

I would suggest two places:

The restaurant in the Palazzo Sasso hotel in Ravello

Dona Rosa in the hills above Positano.

The prices are not for the faint of heart, but the meals will be memorable
Old Aug 20th, 2008, 03:45 PM

Ristorante Marina Grande is a fabulous restaurant on the water/beach in Amalfi. Great food, view, etc. Call ahead for reservations and take a taxi so you can enjoy their great wine selection.
Old Aug 21st, 2008, 12:23 AM

Hi Kay - Two I always return to are:

- La Tagliata: above Montepertuso
http://www.latagliata.com/imageshow/foto_en.php
(Best lunchtime for superb coastal views stretching as far as Capri (- Faraglioni)

- Da Costantino: Upper Positano
http://www.dacostantino.com/inglese.htm
(Best evenings. Book a window table for panoramic views over Positano as the lights come on ...)

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Old Aug 21st, 2008, 02:20 AM

Hi there,

I totally agree with Steve_James...

La Tagliata is superb!
Old Aug 21st, 2008, 05:10 AM

The restaurant at the hotel Il San Pietro in Positano is a destination kind of place - spectacular views, beautiful dining room and they grow their own produce on the property - I loved it.
Old Aug 21st, 2008, 05:32 AM

Does anyone know if you need lunch reservations for the terrace restaurant at Palazzo Sasso in Ravello?
Old Aug 21st, 2008, 06:14 AM

We loved Il Ritrovo, also in Montepertuso (hills above Positano). I think it is across the street from Donna Rosa (which we didn't eat at), mentioned above.
Old Aug 21st, 2008, 06:30 AM

When we went to La Tagliata they provided free shuttle from Positano. Don't know about Praiano though.
Old Aug 21st, 2008, 07:24 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Regarding Palazzo Sasso -

Not required for lunch on the terrace - but I would reserve just in case as on occasion cruise people swing by for lunch plus you want the seats right on the edge of the terrace. You want to spend all afternoon looking at the view. You absolutely must also save room here for the tiramisu(sp?) and of course the mozzarella with anything is so, so good.

If you eat dinner in the formal Michelin-starred dining room you must have the pork ribs. They are to die for. I ate them every night and I still dream of them Also, the appetizer with Mozzarella 6 or 7 different ways is just not to be missed - mozzarella sorbet! - who knew?

BTW, the Palazzo Sasso is very romantic. And the waiters and waitresses are sweet as can be. But, they all will speak English - I missed hearing Italian...This is a very "American" spot... Lots of honeymooners and big anniversary couples. We were there for our 20th.

gruezi
Old Aug 22nd, 2008, 08:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much to everyone that responded. We really appreciate the help and will post a review when we return.