Best Restaurants in Rome or Tuscany region

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 05:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What I am looking for is a great "non-touristy" restaurants that has exceptional food. It dosen't have to be the most expensive, most popular, or oldest. Just something so good that prompts you to reply.We will be in Rome for three nights and 6 days in Tuscany wine region.
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 06:09 PM

Some of my favorites are:

Il Castello - a fabulous place in an old 13 century castle, south of Montalcino, in a village called Poggio Alle Mura. Forgot the exact address, but not hard to find- ask around. Both Montalcino and Poggio are vineyards well worth a tour. Do not forget to pick up a few bottles of Brunello...

Il Cenacolo is another good restaurant in town of Cavriglia. Stupendous food with cool wine-cellar ambiance. This is a good one to visit if you are doing a tour of Gaiole and Radda in Chianti vineyards. If in Badia Coltibuono, go to the eponymous monastery, it has been in existance for a millenium and the village is named after it. There is a restaurant in the monastery that serves traditional local dishes, just out of this world...

Finally, you must visit San Gimignano, a medieval town that started building skyscraper-lookalike towers some 600 years before NYC and, as a result, has a similar skyline (15 towers remaining out of some 87). The restaurant to go there is Dorando'. We absolutely loved it- from service to the wine list (especially local wines) and the food..Top level, Michelin-star quality restaurant for fraction of the price..
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 03:28 PM
Original Poster

Great insight sempronia.
Thanks
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 03:44 PM

Posterguru, This is from my brief trip report.... Enjoy!

Here are some restaurants that we found and enjoyed in Rome. None of them too pricey and location mainly close to our apartments in the Navona area and in no particular order of liking:

1) Il Fico - Piazza del Fico 2#4/25 phone 39 066875568. Very fresh & creative menu. I saw them bring out a whole fish to show a customer for approval before preparing it. Great antipasti fried calamari very good wine and loved my steak.

2) Osteria del Pegno - Vicola di Montevecchio # 8. Just off Via Coronari by the fountain. Small, intimate & romantic, awesome carbonara and steamed clams!

3) Lo Stroggna (sp) address? On the corner of Via Panico and Coronari.
Big family run restaurant, casual, wonderful pizza, steamed clams in broth over a heaping piece of bread, house wine is not the best, great rip apart rolls I think from Forno in Campo dei Fiori. Very kind and lovely waitress who helped me immensely with my Italian pronunciations and received a large tip from us.

4) Taverna Le Coppelle - Via dellle Coppelle 38-39 Close to Navona & Rotunda/Pantheon. Inexpensive, good house wine, great pizza, the best fried squash blossoms and fried olives, delicious broccoli pasta.

5) Baffetto - Via del Governo Vecchio # 114. Tried this from all the raves I had read on this board and it was indeed worth trying, tasty, tasty pizza ! 5 of us 4 pizzas two salads wine 2 desserts and water came to something crazy like 47 euros. There is also now a Baffetto #2 in Campo dei Fiori which we did not go to.

6) La Taverna del Ghetto I Have missplaced the card so I have no address to give. This is a somewhat upscale restaurant. I had the goulash which was out of this world as was my sister's braised beef in a red sauce. We just wandered in there off the street cold and a bit wet after leaving from the "We are the future concert" at Circus Maximus. It was a nice find! None of us loved the fried artichokes, but glad we tried them.

7) Alle Fratte di Trastevere - Via delle Fratte di Trastevere 49/50. This too was another great recommendation from a Fodors poster. As she suggested I had the smoked salmon pasta with vodka and cream as a first and grilled lamb chops mmmmm!

Eileen

Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 04:12 PM

If you will be in Siena, loved TRATTORIA PAPEI. We ate there every single night we were in Siena because the restaurant felt so warm and welcoming. Signor Papei is a character! Great pastas with duck or cinghalle ragu. Wonderfully flavorful sausage with white beans. And totally reasonable prices.
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 05:06 PM

Hi
Arnolfo Restaurant in Colle di Val d'Elsa outside of Siena is fantastic. Reservations are a must.

In Chiusi at the Hotel Villa Il Patriarca is a great 1 star Michelin restaurant. The name of the restaurant escapes me but it was great. Enjoy!
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 05:53 PM

In Panzano I would recommend Oltre Giardino - eat on the terrace. True bisteccca alla Fiorentina, friend artichokes and zuccini blosoms, ribollita, true Tuscan cusine.

In S. Gimingiano - Il Pode. Just outside front entrance into the fortress town. Excellent everything!
Old Jul 1st, 2004, 04:35 AM

If you're in the Arezzo/Siena area...there is a little town just off the autostrada called Monte San Savino. In this town there is an incredible restaurant called Lo Steccheto (signs from the exit). The food is incredible, price is right, the atmosphere inside is a festive sort of montage to the life of the owner, and outside is like dining in the Garden of Eden. The owner, Giancarlo, is a wonderful person who makes you feel better for knowing him. They've a guest book where one can read the many, many testimonials of previous visitors. No matter where you are in central/ southern Tuscany , this restaurant is highly recommended.

www.losteccheto.com

Directions - Come off the autostrada at Monte San Savino exit. After passing through the toll booth turn left towards Monte S. Savino. About 30 yards after passing an Esso on the right you will make a left. Go down this road for about 2.5 miles and the restaurant is on the left. Dinners start around 7 P.M.

I can promise you a wonderful and memorable experience. Many have actually said it was their best evening in Tuscany. Giancarlo loves Americans!

- Jonathan
Old Jul 1st, 2004, 06:29 AM

Ambaciata di Abruzzo is my favorite. Try the "tasting menu." Wonderful.

http://www.ambasciata-di-abruzzo.it/uk/index.asp