Reload this Page >

Best restaurants in Roma??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 09:32 AM
traveler

Please share--non-touristy, best restaurants (with addresses), traditional meals, in Rome.

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 09:37 AM
Ross

I would consider an Olive Garden. They have a school where their chefs and recipes are tried out and perfected. Magnifico!!!

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 10:11 AM
M

If you are looking for something not too fancy with good food, I would try the following places in Rome.<BR><BR>1. La Grappola d'Oro (Piazza della Cancelleria, a three minute walk from the Camp dei Fiori) This is a great, small trattoria with lots of choices. I had a first dish of fusilli pasta with broccoli and breadcrumbs, followed by a fillet of sea bass with vegetables, a quarter litre of red wine, water, and coffee for about 26 Euro. This place fills up around 2 PM, so try to arrive earlier if possible.<BR><BR>2. La Pollarola (Piazza della Pollarola, right off the Campo dei Fiori). This is a true, Roman trattoria, and their bucatini all'amatriciana is fantastic. Also on the menu are typical fish and meat dishes, with a sampling of some traditional Roman dishes such as tripe. Dinner with wine came to about 30 euro per person.<BR><BR>3. Don't overlook Rome's pizzerias for dinnertime. In addition to Baffetto (considered by some to be Rome's best pizzeria), the following three places also stand out:<BR><BR>a. Leoncino (off Via del Corso, Via del Leoncino 28)<BR>b. Il Corallo (near Piazza Navona, Via del Corallo 10)<BR><BR>Enjoy!<BR><BR>M

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 10:19 AM
x

I must strongly disagree with your assessment of La Grappola d'Oro. Citizens of Rome and tourists alike hate this restaurant. It is an awful food trap serving up the vilest food. Nobody would eat there if it were located anywhere but Campo dei Fiori. Do yourself a favor and avoid La Grappola D'Oro like the plague.

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 10:28 AM
Ryan

We had a great meal at the Sabatini Restaurant in the Trestavere section of Rome. Reservations are essential. The food is traditional Roman. The address is Vicolo Santa Maria in Trestavere, #18. It's located on the square next to the Basilica Santa Maria.

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 10:33 AM
romalover

Bramante. Off of the Piazza Navonna. Great Food. Informal but beautiful decor and atmosphere. Opera/jazz. Inside/Outside dining.

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 03:03 PM
Wayne

Once you get away from the &quot;top&quot; restaurants, which are also usually rather touristy, you can find dozens of nice little local restaurants in Rome. I usually just wander around the less touristy areas until I find one where no one is speaking English. I've never been disappointed yet. Going to Rome and trying to seek out one particular restaurant is, IMO, a rather useless effort when there are so many.<BR><BR>One restaurant, however, that is well known and is quite &quot;native&quot; is among my favorites. Not many non-Italians go there, so that's a plus. It's the Arrosto Toscano, and you get there by going to the north end of via Veneto and then turning right, go about a block, just before going through the old city walls. What I generally do, because I like variety, is just ask for an assortment of the appetizers.

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 07:25 PM
gen

We were in Rome a few weeks ago and had great meals. One of our favorites was at a restaurant called Dittirambo, off of Campo di Fiori. It is just north of the square. We seemed to be the only Americans in the place. Yummy pasta with gorgonzola for me.........

Old Nov 28th, 2002, 03:46 AM
elaine

Hi<BR>there have been some great threads here in the past with lots of suggestions on Rome restaurants.<BR>Try doing a search here on Rome restaurants, and also check the rants and raves comments under Rome hotels elsewhere here at fodors.com

Old Nov 28th, 2002, 06:22 AM
ricahrd j vicek

Good morning, Traveler<BR>Here are my additioins to greeat Rome<BR>Ristorantes.<BR><BR>1. Roof top ristorante of the FORUM HOTEL, via Tor de Cointi, 25, across <BR>from the Roman Forum. $$$$ resvn a must.<BR>2.AMBASCIATA D'ABRUZZO, via Pietro Tacchini, 26, located in north Parioli<BR>district. Tourists and Locals, $$$<BR>resvn a must.<BR>3.RISTORANTE NINO, via Borgognona, 11,<BR>located half block from Spanish Steps.<BR>Excellant roman artichokes. 4444 resvn<BR>a must...<BR>4. LA CAPRICCOSIA, Largo dei Lombardi 8,<BR>excellant pizzeria and other Roman Food.<BR>located off Corso near Mausoleo di Agusto. 444 resvm mpt necessary.<BR>5. LA GENSOLA, Pza. Dell Gensola, 15,<BR>Sicilian, in Trastevere. 444 resvn a must.]Richard of LaGrange Park, Il..

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 01:56 PM
guy

Trying to find one particular restaurant in Roma is typicially a waste of time and energy. Just wander through the less touristy areas and look for a place that is packed with locals, not tourists. Big signs saying they speak English is generally a bad sign. It is also a bad sign when they have pictures of their meal options on the wall. &quot;Yes, I would like a number 2 meal, and why don't you supersize that while you're at it.&quot; If this sounds appealing, you probably should not go to Italy.

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 04:54 AM
JuliaB

I have a small hotel in Rome and I like to suggest to my guests only the things and the places that I and the romans would do and go. This is just a selection:<BR><BR>Roman Kitchen<BR>Da Costanza (Campo dei Fiori) (30 Euro average cost per person excluding wine)<BR>Piazza del Paradiso 63,65<BR>06 6861717<BR><BR>Matricianella (Campo Marzio )<BR>Via del Leone ,2<BR>Tel. 06 6832100<BR><BR>Italian/tuscan<BR>Osteria del Gallo (30 Euro)<BR>Vicolo Montevecchio (Piazza Navona)<BR><BR>Italian<BR>Ditirambo(30 Euro)<BR>Piazza della Cancelleria (Campo dei Fiori)<BR><BR>Al Bric (40 Euro)<BR>Via del Pellegrino 51 (Campo dei Fiori)<BR><BR>Fish (40 Euro)<BR><BR>Crab <BR>Via Capo D’ Africa,2 (Colosseo)<BR>Tel.06 77203636<BR><BR>Hosteria del pesce<BR>Via di Monserrato, 32(Campo dei Fiori/Piazza Farnese)<BR>Tel.06 6865617<BR><BR><BR>Naples<BR>Al Regno di Re Ferdinando<BR>Via di Monte Testaccio, 39<BR>Tel. 06 5783725<BR><BR><BR><BR>Bologna<BR>Dal Bolognese (P.zza del Popolo)<BR>Tel. 06 3611426<BR><BR>Giuseppe Al 59 - Via Brunetti<BR><BR><BR>Sardinian<BR>Drappo Tel. 06 6877365<BR>Vicolo del Malpasso, 9 (Via Giulia/Piazza Farnese)<BR>As you can imagine there are more others: enoteche (wine bars), hot new places etc.<BR>Enjoy your meals<BR>JuliaB

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 11:33 AM
Vita

Il Duca on Viccolo del Cinque, an hostaria in Trastevere.

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 11:37 AM
Vita

By the way, although I don't feel quite as strongly as x, I didn't enjoy the food at La Grappola d'Oro either.