Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Best Rental Car for Sightseeing in Bavaria?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5th, 2019, 07:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Am traveling to Germany/France in Summer 2019 with family, all adults We plan to sightsee all over southern Germany and into France. I will be renting a vehicle but am not sure which type/mode we should reserve. It has to be large enough to comfortably fit all 5 of us and I really need a panoramic sunroof so all can see the majestic peaks and tall cathedral spires from within. Luggage won't be an issue since we will doing several day-trips and a couple of 2-nighters. I need advice on the type of vehicle that would be best suited. Thank you.
Old Jun 5th, 2019, 08:24 AM

Duplicate posting.
Old Jun 5th, 2019, 08:42 AM
Forum Moderator

We have deleted your duplicate thread.
Old Jun 5th, 2019, 08:47 AM
J62

I doubt that you can specify a vehicle that has a panoramic sunroof, unless you specify some luxury model.
Also not clear to me why you can't get out of the car from time to time to take in the majestic beauty of the mountains and tall cathedral spires, unless you are planning to just do drive-by sightseeing.

As for car size, for 5 people we recently rented a mid sized station wagon in Italy from Hertz that was perfect. Room enough for luggage for 4 people, and comfortable seats for 5. Built in GPS, free wifi unit from Hertz, new model car with all the safety bells and whistles, apple & android carplay, etc. We rented through Kemwell.com, for a price of ~$35/day including $0 deductible.
Old Jun 5th, 2019, 10:15 AM

IME (in 35+ years of European car rentals) you never have the option of specifying a particular model, or even special features like a sunroof, never mind a panoramic one. You are assigned a "class" of car and you take what's on the lot when you show up. If your requirements are that specific, you're going to need to rent from a luxury outfit.

You will need an international driver's permit for France.
Old Jun 5th, 2019, 04:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I recommend you contact Gemut.com. They're based in Oregon, and have been experts in European (and especially German) travel for decades. I've used them perhaps 6 times, including for travel in Poland, Hungary, France, etc. Never been frustrated or displeased. Always obtained a diesel for me (10% better mileage than gas, 10% cheaper fuel; =21% less cost/mile than gasoline).