Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How Does Driving in France Differ from in the US?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3rd, 2019, 03:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Preparing for our September driving tour in Brittany, and knowing that France has many speed cameras that levy significant fines for speed beyond 5 kpm over the limit, I started practicing driving at or below the speed limit at home. Bad idea. I garnered angry tailgaters, horns, flashing headlights, hazardous passers, and displays of specially selected fingers. US drivers regard the speed limit as a suggested minimum speed.

So I looked on the internet about driving in France. I find that speed limits are assumed implicitly for many roads, rather than having the limit posted. I assume one can determine the limit without explicit signs, and rain lowers the limit. How much rain? Does the camera know? How? And how is the implicit speed limit made known to drivers without the red circled number? There is a medieval priority to the right rule, but I am a bit unsure how it works in practice. Here in NY, the horn is used to express warning or impatience or as a sonic finger. I found in California that if I pulled over to let others pass on a narrow road, they beeped as a "thank you." How are horns used in France? Are there any other customs of the road that may be new to me? Around here, if someone has a mechanical breakdown of any kind, you often see that car with the hood up. I see that in France there is supposed to be a warning red triangle and a protective yellow vest. Is there a phone number for breakdown assistance?

Anything else, legal or culturally that would be good to know?

Thanks!
Old Jun 3rd, 2019, 03:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Always slow down when you enter a city/village of any size. I don't recall many honkers (if any), and no fingers. Often people coming towards you will flash their lights - meaning that there is police up ahead. We usually get 1-2 speeding tickets every year or so in France. Don't think we got one last year when we were in Paris for 3 weeks - didn't have a car. We may have received one in Brittany in June last year. A few years ago, we received two tickets from the same camera on different days.

Stu Dudley
Old Jun 3rd, 2019, 03:59 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
We took out own gps and it always tells us when the speed drops. I love it for driving anywhere. If you see a bathroom use it.
Old Jun 3rd, 2019, 04:57 PM

There are many differences. You tend ot get little info on differences when you ask experienced people perhaps because it has gotten natural and they don't think about them. Here is another web site showing differences. Speed Limits - Americans in France
In addition, there are a few that requires more clarifications.
You are probably told to use the left most lane on multi-lane highways only for passing. The reason many don't mention is that unlike in the U.S., it is illegal to pass on the right unless you are forced to do this such as the car on the left lane is turning left, the traffic jam forces the car on the left to slow down but you can proceed on your lane, etc.
You still get tailgated in France even if you are 1 km above the speed limit. The locals know where the speed cameras are. You don't.
The concept of "default" speed can get you. As you enter a town, you see 70km crossed out, then 50km crossed out, and see 30km. You get to the other side of town, but still semi populated area, you see 30km crossed out, but no following explicit speed sign. What is then the default speed limit at that point?
If you have not driven around roundabout/rotaries/traffic cicles, study how it works. The cars already in the roundabout have the right of way. Once you get to a roundabout, the concept of "main" road disappears. This seems to be particularly troublesome for the U.S. drivers not familiar with the roundabouts.
Another rule strange to U.S. drivers is the "priority to the right" rule. Where still used, a car entering an intersection from a tiny side road from your right has a priority over you driving the major road. They seemed to have eliminated most of this by placing numerous "you have the priority" signs to override the "priority to the right" rule.
Like other countries, fact check what the GPS is telling you before you start driving. In Roussillon, the gps told me to drive through a pedestrian only street.
Old Jun 3rd, 2019, 05:01 PM

There is a medieval priority to the right rule, but I am a bit unsure how it works in practice.>

Today you rarely see such an intersection on on main roads but side roads maybe but you always gotta be on watch for priority on right - I drove a lot in Orleans until several years ago and there was a little side street intersection a busy street and as there was no yield sign it was officially priority on the right. Hopefully they abolish all those.

And if not mentioned above you' legally need an International Driving Permit to go along with your regular license.

All kinds of info like how to avoid 'bouchons' or bottlenecks the Bison Fute tells you all about that - run by French government:

https://www.bison-fute.gouv.fr/
Old Jun 3rd, 2019, 05:02 PM

Each road type has a speed limit. You will only see a sign if the road differs from the standard speed for it's type.

The French government has been changing the speed limits. But I think the current ones are

The above speeds are for cars. Trucks and other types of vehicles will be slower. That means if you're in the right lane and see a truck ahead of you plan to pass it.

My impression is the French are honky happy -)
Old Jun 3rd, 2019, 06:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
When I drove in France a few year's back, the only place I found the moronic "priority to the right" rule in effect was in a few places in Brittany. Seen it in Germany, too, when my BiL jumped out in front of some gigantic farm machinery which looked like something out of Star Wars. He was legally in the right, the machine slowed or stopped, but it took some time off my life.
Old Jun 3rd, 2019, 08:26 PM

This is from my Normandy & Brittany itinerary

The "most visited" site in Brittany - the roundabouts

Most people are familiar with roundabouts, but this area of France takes it to a whole new level. Often, you can barely come out of one roundabout (with the up-shifting and down-shifting as you accelerate into a roundabout and brake leaving it) when you immediately repeat those maneuvers heading into the next one, and quite possibly another 'next one'. Oddly, the placement of the roundabouts doesn't favor either:

1. busy 'intersections' where traffic (especially large trucks) is slowed inconveniently or

2. small 'intersections' where there does not seem to be a fathomable reason why much traffic control would be needed at all.

Traffic lights/signals would seem more appropriate to the first case, while basic stop signs would do the job for the latter. This is not the region where you want to learn to drive a stick shift for the first time. One of our gite proprietors said that building roundabouts was the second-favorite pastime in Brittany (the first is going on strike to address some sort of a grievance).

Stu Dudley
Old Jun 3rd, 2019, 08:54 PM

Why would you consider traffic lights better than a roundabout?

Try making a left turn on a busy street
Old Jun 3rd, 2019, 09:04 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I don't see what is moronic about priority to the right. It is extremely important when determining who was at fault when there is a collision.
Old Jun 3rd, 2019, 11:16 PM

They respect the left lane. Commercial vehicles are only allowed on the right lane. Their roads are well maintained and well engineered. The rest stops has good food and clean restrooms.
we got our first ticket last year, we didn’t care, it made us smile.

Old Jun 4th, 2019, 01:03 AM

The Netherlands also has priority to the right and it is far from moronic. It forces us to drive slowly in towns.
It generally only applies in towns, and usually in 30 zones. Priority is posted. You have to learn the road signs and markings.
The town name board is a speed limit sign too, usually 50. Anything else is posted. Speed cameras are often set up just past the name board so you must be doing 50 by the time you get to it.
Toll roads are 130, some non toll motorways are also 130, others are 110 or lower near cities. Always posted. Otherrroads are now 80, though plenty of French will still go at 90.
You have to have hiviz waistcoats accessible from the drivers seat and must wear them if you break down or have an accident.
Beware lunatic motorcyclists. They will try to overtake in silly places.
Don't hit the horn. Give cyclists a very wide berth (2 metres) when passing.
Old Jun 4th, 2019, 03:30 AM

I don’t see how you can generalise.

I’ve driven in over 20 US States and they all differ wildly. I’ve been frequently reprimanded in Cape Cod, there must be many retired school teachers there.

Run off the road in Alabama and sat politely following many drivers average speeds of 12mph in Georgia.

I’ve just cycled a long way in France, I’d say out of 62 countries I’ve been shown the most respect in rural France. Other than Bordeaux (or indeed most big cities) which still manage to drum up a far degree of road rage.

Yes, there is a slightly different culture but not to the extent that it will effect your driving experience.
Old Jun 4th, 2019, 03:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am being overwhelmed with the above information. I looked at Greg's suggested website. Are the default speed limits in the table current? I thought i saw somewhere that they had been lowered, but maybe they have been raised back?
Old Jun 4th, 2019, 03:42 AM

Speeding : yes, there are many cameras in Europe and particularly in France; yes, there are urban myths that the toll booths will measure your average speed.

but

yes, I have never travelled too far on an IS without seeing the local
police hiding in the trees waiting to issue tickets.

Try leaving your own country and being forced to drive on the WRONG side of the road. Now that is uncivilised !!!
Old Jun 4th, 2019, 03:48 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AJPeabody
I am being overwhelmed with the above information. I looked at Greg's suggested website. Are the default speed limits in the table current? I thought i saw somewhere that they had been lowered, but maybe they have been raised back?
On normal national highways (the N roads), the speed limit for two lane sections were lowered from 90 to 80 last year. However, this caused a lot of protest, and the government has relented -- they are turning the power of setting the speed limit on those roads over to the regional authorities. So some of them will be going back up to 90 while others will remain at 80. Keep an eye on the changing signs because even if you have a GPS that includes the speed limits, it is not always correct.
Old Jun 4th, 2019, 04:29 AM

We spent a month in Alsace-Lorraine and Burgundy last fall with a rental car. Yes to the GPS! It always let us know when the speed limit dropped or rose, and especially when approaching villages, it was invaluable. We programmed the GPS to avoid all toll roads, so I can't speak to the rules on the bigger highways. We loved driving the back roads, so charming, and plenty of unplanned discoveries. Can't wait to return in 2020.
Old Jun 4th, 2019, 06:45 AM
twk

It's been a while since I drove in France (2011), but I'm returning next summer, and I drove in Spain last fall. One aid on speed limits (although far from foolproof) is a GPS. I've used Garmin and TomTom in Europe and both have speed limit information on all major roads, and all but the smallest roads. While they aren't always correct, if you get on a road and don't see a speed limit sign right away, it's nice to have an indication from the GPS as a presumptive starting point.

As was noted above, never take the routing on the GPS as gospel. You should always look at the route beforehand, either on a paper map, or on a device (like your phone) where you have time and the ability to actually look at the route plotted by the software to ensure that it is taking you where you want to go. You need to have a picture in your mind as to what the route should look like so that you can check that against what the GPS tells you. You also need to be very careful about place names--there are so many places with similar names that it can be very tricky to get the right one. If you are using a GPS, take your time when getting in the car to get your routing set up properly--don't let yourself feel rushed. Feeling confident about the routing information you receive will allow you to devote your attention to driving.

On roundabouts, getting the right exit can be tricky sometimes, so don't be afraid to go around a second time if you think you are about to miss your turn--it's better than making a quick maneuver that may imperil you and other traffic.
Old Jun 4th, 2019, 07:16 AM

For those of you using google maps in addition to or instead of GPS, they have started putting speed limits on the route as well as you are driving. One note for those of us who have been driving many years in France. It used to be that coming into major cities like Nantes Bordeaux etc. the speed on the "circle highway" around those metro areas had a speed limit of 110, but that has been lowered to 90 now in most cities, so that was something I had to be careful to adhere to.

The other big difference is that cars in France turn left behind each other when making a left turn rather than in front of each other like in the U.S.

Also, since your trip will be in Brittany, it is worth pointing out that there are no toll roads in that region, which is great on the wallet but needs to be taken into consideration for time planning. Here is something I read on the internet about why there aren't any toll roads there which is pretty much what our French friends say too:

"When it comes to tolls, Brittany prides itself on the fact that there simply are no tolls in the Brittany region and this has been the case for some time now. Some deem that the origin for this fact goes back as far as 1532 when Anne de Bretagne abdicated Brittany to France through her marriage to King Charles VIII upon the condition that ” no toll shall ever be levied on either road or bridge”. Others opine that another reason for this exemption was that of the Great Charles De Gaulle. It was his way of saying ‘thank you’ to Breton soldiers who fought in the war. Others believe that De Gaulle deemed that Paris was the great centre of Europe and the roads of Brittany led to nowhere of particular importance, therefore requiring no toll.. The more cynical say the reality for ‘no tolls’ is simply down to politics!. At the end of the 1960′s the roads of Brittany were not classed as motorways and the Bretons have made sure that they protest loudly against any change to this age old rule."
Old Jun 4th, 2019, 07:42 AM

Try leaving your own country and being forced to drive on the WRONG side of the road. Now that is uncivilised !!!

lol,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -