best rate for domestic based international calls

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20th, 2006, 06:22 AM
MCS
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
best rate for domestic based international calls

Hello all
I need to call a cell phone number in Paris from here in Illinois (I am on a land line) and my calling card will use 18 minutes to one to do so. Do any of you know of a better card? - Mine is AT&T. I am aware that a land line in Paris would only use 4 minutes to one, but I am stuck with a cell number to call. Thank you so much for any help you can give.
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 11:17 AM

Try getting a Sam's club calling card or equivalent. Most countries cost more to call a cell vs landline. So what you are seeing with France is typical (US is unusual with mobile=landline cost).
My cost US to a UK mobile is about 30 cents/minute or about the equivalent of 9 US-US minutes. For US-UK landline it is about 3 US minutes.
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 11:42 AM

From your land line, use a 10-10-xxx dialaround service.
Last month I used 10-10-987 for two phone calls to Rome. Each was 1 or 2 minutes and each cost less than 60 cents.

The rate is 53 cents for the connection plus 4 cents a minute. If the rate is higher for calls to cell phones, i'm not aware of it, but it should still be very cheap.

Just dial 1010987, then all the digits you need for the cell phone. The charges will appear on your next regular phone bill.
More info here
http://www.1010987.com/rates_us.html
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 11:50 AM
Neopolitan

Here are two numbers I've used to Europe and neither seems to have a connection charge. When I use them they get billed separately right on my monthly phone bill, and none have ever been over 5 cents per minute. I have yet to see any separate connection charge. Of course this is using a regular old fashioned phone, not a cell phone,which we all know is far more expensive to use.

101-6400
101-6868

Old Mar 20th, 2006, 03:41 PM

If you have a broadband internet connection and a microphone for your computer, you can sign up for Skype Out and call any landline or cell phone in the world from your computer. You can buy minutes in increments of $10, and the cost per minute is about 2 cents for anywhere in Europe.

If you just want to talk computer to computer, it's free.

http://www.skype.com