Best place to travel in Spain in early October

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20th, 2011, 09:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While returning from business travel, I plan to meet a prior co-worker in Spain the 2nd week of October. It doesn't really matter where in Spain so I'm trying to determine the best place to spend our limited 3 days. Originally we were thinking Barcelona, but it appears the city generally gets a wash down from the rain in October.

Does anyone have any suggestions for the best place to spend 3 days of some relaxation, some activities and a good amount of drinking in Spain in early October? We would prefer sea side locations, but are open to hearing others. Thanks!
Old Jul 20th, 2011, 09:06 AM

Madrid, or Seville, or Malaga. 3 days is really only enough time to choose one of these places.
Old Jul 20th, 2011, 11:20 AM

San Sebastian---most unique.
Old Jul 20th, 2011, 12:19 PM

There is more chance of rain in SS than Barcelona.

Malaga is by the sea, but also an old Andalusian town.
We liked it more than expected ( stayed 3 nights).
Old Jul 20th, 2011, 01:00 PM

Barcelona, Valencia, or Málaga.. you cannot foresee the weather anyway, but the further South you go, the warmer it should be.
Barcelona has probably the most to see/visit, Málaga should have the best weather.
2nd week of October would be a bit too late for my taste to enjoy the Northern coast, Basque country or Galicia.
Old Jul 20th, 2011, 01:07 PM

www.booking.com/AlaveraDeLosBanos

simply awesome area in Oct
Old Jul 20th, 2011, 01:43 PM

With just three days, I would chose a place with easy accessibility, i.e. one flight. Otherwise you will be seeing the inside of airports. And even amateur meteorologists know that any that is impossible to predict the weather for three arbitrary days three months in advance.
Old Jul 20th, 2011, 01:51 PM

I would go where ever you want. Temperature wise, nowhere in Spain will be below 55F or above 75F in early October- hard to go wrong anywhere. Also, even if rain is more likely in Barcelona than other parts of Spain in October, it's more likely you'll have 3 gorgeous days (pack an umbrella just in case).
Old Jul 20th, 2011, 04:36 PM

Málaga city would be a good option for "relaxation, some activities and a good amount of drinking in Spain in early October".

Easy-going and genuine Andalusian atmosphere, great tapas bars, cafés, restaurants and nightlife. My activities suggestions would include - apart from central Málaga being full of sights such as the newly excavated Roman theater, the 8-11th century Mooorish fortress, the 16th century Cathedral and Picasso's birth-place and the Picasso museum - going to Pedregalejo just east of the city center to have a waterfront seafood lunch with mostly locals in one of the many popular and affordable restaurants there. Or perhaps, if really hung over, go to the Torcal Natural park some 35 miles north of the city and do a walk on top of the spectacular limestone rock formations with views to Morocco on a clear day. There are also a local festival going on in fairly close by Nerja (30 mins east along the coast by car/taxi (about 50€)) from the 7th to the 12th of October. http://www.nerjatoday.com/fiestas/nerja-feria/

In Málaga, start off the night with a couple of Málaga wines by the barrel at Antigua Casa de Guardia in Alameda Principal, and when things start to get late be sure to drop by Bodegas El Pimpi in Calle Granada, an institution in town. From here, you are the guide. Lots of late-night bars, music cafés etc north of the central Plaza de la Constitución, especially in the week-ends.

And the temperature would most likely be in the 75-80s range.
About Málaga: http://www.andalucia.com/cities/malaga/home.htm
Old Jul 21st, 2011, 08:33 AM

Madrid!
Old Jul 21st, 2011, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

This is incredibly helpful. Thank you so much!