Best place to stay in Sicily

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 09:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please , can you help me to decide on best location in Sicily for 7 nights, close to the sea and well located for day trips to explore beautiful Sicily
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 02:23 AM

Which season?
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 03:58 AM

Sicily is bigger than you might think - too big to explore it all from one location. What are you interested in ? If just historic sights, you really need to do a driving holiday with 1 or 2 nights each in several places - most obvious are Taormina, Siracusa, Agrigento & Palermo. If you want to spend some of the time relaxing on a beach, I would just stay in Taormina, maybe with day trips to Siracusa and Etna.
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 04:45 AM

Caroline is correct that you cannot explore all of Sicily from one location. I would suggest at least two base cities, possibly Palermo or Cefalu in the west and Siracusa/Ortygia or Taormina in the east. From these places you can explore the surrounding areas.

Cefalu is right on the water and has a sandy beach right in town. Palermo has Mondello beach a short bus ride away. It's also a sandy beach. Taormina is not right on the beach b/c it is on a high elevation above the coast, but there are frequent buses and a cable car that take you to the beach area. I believe there are beaches south of Siracusa/Ortygia, but I'm not really familiar with them.
In any event, there is so much to see and do in Sicily you probably won't be spending much of your time at the beach.
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 10:38 AM

If you have in mind to see the west coast then you might find useful information on this site:
www.on-sicily.com
About the east coast look here:
http://www.sizilien-rad.de/regionen/eastcoast.htm
My self I prefer the west coast arround Catellammare del Golfo: beautiful beaches, highway by the hand, lots of interesting things to do. No to mention that the guys from on-sicily offer a lot of activities and discounts in authentic restaurants.
Have a great holiday!