Best Place to Stay in Rhodes

Old Oct 31st, 2022, 12:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts
Best Place to Stay in Rhodes

After 2 weeks in Turkey we plan to spend 3 days in Rhodes before ending our trip in Athens. Where would you suggest staying in? We didn't plan to rent a car there but if it makes it easier to get around, then we are not opposed to that. We wouldn't mind a day relaxing on the beach as long as it's a sandy beach with beach chairs and umbrellas available. We are debating between Rhodes Old Town, or one of areas along the eastern coast that has sandy beaches. How easy it is to get around there without a car?

Thanks for any input.
Old Oct 31st, 2022, 09:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With only three days I'd pick old town personally. Not sure what you're looking for in beaches but Rhodes tends towards the built up European beach . Not the wild natural blue lagoon type beach.

From Rhodes town you could take the bus down to Lindos for the day. That's I think the longest trip you might consider renting a car for . Visiting Rhodes city itself doesn't need a car.
Old Nov 1st, 2022, 06:59 AM
Original Poster

Thank you NIck. I think we had decided the same thing as you suggested. We are going to book in Old Town. Thanks for the suggestion about the bus to Lindos.
Old Nov 1st, 2022, 09:48 AM

I don't know if you have time but there are usually organized ferry trips to Symi.

There are also tour buses that go to Lindos. More expensive than the city bus but they pick you up at your hotel (Or near it) and take you both ways. Only downside is they then take you to some other touristy things that IMHO aren't worth your time.
Old Nov 2nd, 2022, 06:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Nick for your followup suggestions. I did see that there is a tour bus that will take you to Lindos. We may consider that option. We will also look at ferry trips to Symi if we finish up what we want to see in Rhodes town in days 1 & 2.
Old Nov 2nd, 2022, 10:12 AM

A stay in one of the many small hotels inside the walled city may be more romantic. Bit a hotel close to the bus staion, like hotel Hermes, is more handy if you like to explore the Island by bus or the Dodecannissos by excursion boat or catamaran.
Uncrowded sandy beaches with sunbeds and umbrellas: Tsambika (bus from Rhodos about every hr plus short walk), Agathi, Charaki (bus from Rhodos about every hr plus short walk).
Public buses from Rhodos to Lindos and beyond run about every hr. There is no need for a more expensive excursion bus.
Old Nov 3rd, 2022, 11:27 AM
Original Poster

neckervd, thank you for this information. I've always followed your helpful advice on other European trips that we've done.
Old Dec 27th, 2022, 02:43 AM

Too Noisy

Hi there, Old town is a good option but keep in mind that it s a tourist area and most of the restaurants, bar, clubs are around. In result , it can be too noisy. I d stay in one of Psaropoula s hotels. They are next to the center and on the beach side
Old Dec 27th, 2022, 10:04 AM

ON my visit to Rhodes, we stayed in Old Town in a very quiet area in a small place Called Medieval Inn... it is right down one of the no-cars lanes, right Next to the Medieval Wall. Very atmosplheric... Suggest asking for the upper floor, as lower floor no view, and not well ventilated. Breakfast on upper patio. V. Moderate. A few yards away, there's an arch in a wall, that leads into a "hidden square" with a cafe or 2, and the ruin of a mosque. A world away from the cruise crowds.
Old Dec 27th, 2022, 11:23 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
And while you are staying in Old Town, Rhodes here is a wonderful dinner recommendation:
Hatzikelis Seafood Restaurant.
We are there several times. A friend who is a professional chef recommended it to us.
Old Dec 28th, 2022, 12:51 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for your feedback! Happy New Year and happy travels in 2023