Notices

Best Paris street map, according to me!

Old Jun 28th, 2003, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Best Paris street map, according to me!

If there are 20 street maps of Paris, I have looked at every one of them. My conclusion is:
for a lightweight, folded/laminated map the BEST one is by Hallwag International, titled "City Flash - Paris".
This puppy has:
- a large Metro map (easier to read than most)
- a street map that includes many smaller streets that others leave off
- bounderies from Bois due Boulogne to Montmartre to Pere Lachaise to Porte de Vanves (flea mkt) to below Place d'Italie.
Now that is comprehensive!
Added bonuses are a layout of the terminals at CDG for both T-1 and T-2, showing the RER line, and also a stretch of Champs Elysee showing the shops, restaurants, theatres, etc on both sides of the street.
Price: $ 4.95- found one map at Borders, none at Barnes/Noble or Books-a-Million. Haven't checked online, but if you had to order it, it would still be worth the price. It is not "pocket size"- it measures (folded) 4 1/2 by 10 inches.
The website printed on the map is www.hallwag.com

Other than that, I still like my "Paris Mapguide" by Michael Middleditch. The downsides are that the metro map is outdated and the 15th is not very well covered. I have never been unable to find a street in this map. I now own a Michelin #16 "Atlas par arroundissements" but will be selling it to somebody because the print is too tiny for my aging eyes. It is very good and comprehensive, but not very practical if I have to carry a magnifying glass to use it (not even the bifocals are strong enough).

Hope these recommendations help others, especially if you might visit Paris more than once and wander outside the 'tourist' core of things.
Old Jun 28th, 2003, 12:57 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is also a dark blue book Paris Pratique Par Arrondissements available at French kiosques, which shows all the streets (with comprehensive street directory. I like it for several reasons: it is arranged by arrondissements for easy reference, it shows street numbers (talk abouty small print!), all the arrondissements are covered and it is purse-size (approx 6 x 8). I take it and Middleditch because Mdldtch shows bus routes and is slightly bigger print (as well as bigger format, therefore harder to fit in a pocket or purse).
Old Jun 28th, 2003, 01:06 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We also use Paris par Arrondisement (every street in Paris, large enough print) and for next trip will get the MapGuide because of the bus map. I also print out individual maps of addresses we plan to visit--such as a shop or restaurant so that on the day we go, it comes with us with address, Metro stop and phone number. We prefer a pocket sized book and not a huge map that you must open up to look at--and draw attention to yourself.
Actually the maps included in the DK Eyewitness Guide to Paris is quite good and comprehensive.
Old Jun 28th, 2003, 01:57 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Mapguide doesn't have a bus map [that you can get at any metro station]. What it does however, is list the bus lines on major steets. This enables you to make better use of the system map, which shows very few streets. If you plan to use the buses, a great way to get around, The Mapguide is the way to go. There are also listings of all kinds of places to go and things to see.
Old Jun 28th, 2003, 02:02 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I understand why people like them, but I don't care for the laminated maps since they can't be folded up as small as I'd like. I prefer to make photocopies of a map, mark them up with colored pens, and be able to fold them any way -- and as small as -- I want.
Old Jun 28th, 2003, 02:15 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good compromise, Capo! but you still need a comprehensive map to photocopy...many of the streetmaps, ie Streetwise, Let's Go, etc don't include the outer reaches - most commonly, the 15th is lopped off, or doesn't show streets in the 5th below Arenes, or anything NE of Etoile (ie Ternes).
I agree, if the laminated version is too unwieldy, I can copy and mark it up to take with me. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old Jun 28th, 2003, 02:29 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Travelnut, I photocopy the sections of a map, usually a Michelin map, that I think I'll need, on 11x17 paper. I started doing this a few trips ago and it's worked out great. I buy the original map (putting money in Michelin's pocket) and bring it with in case I need to make more copies. But, when out during the day, I just use the photocopies. Works for me, but wouldn't necessarily work for others.
Old Jun 28th, 2003, 05:41 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well this was for the "tourist core" but the best central Paris street map we found was the free one from our hotel lobby!! (& we had several others we'd brought along per arrondisement, from guidebooks, etc.)
Old Jun 28th, 2003, 06:08 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The CityFlash is my favorite as well, along with Paris Mapguide.

Though, I also scan neighborhoods from the Michelin 15, then plot the bus routes/stops we'll be using, along with restaurants, shops, etc. we plan to visit, annotating them with hours, days closed, etc. After many trips to Paris, these are loaded with annotations! I just update each neighborhood after each trip. Just before leaving home, I print them all. When heading out each day, I fold up just the ones we need for the day and tuck them in my pocket. I still bring the CityFlash in case we wander off the map.

The bus routes map you can download at www.ratp.fr is fantastic. You can crop, enlarge, and print sections of it. You can even print specific bus routes listing all the stops in both directions. (I use these to annotate my scanned maps.)
Old Jun 30th, 2003, 09:59 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree, Capo, about the laminated maps. I can't get them folded small enough to fit in my pocket. Rough Guide makes a nice map that is on coated paper, which offers some protection from spills, etc., but can still be folded. And it is a nice size -- bigger and more detailed than most of the laminated maps, but not as big and cumbersome as some of the really huge ones.
Old Jun 30th, 2003, 12:42 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dikbooks, what a terrific idea--printing the bus routes out from the RATP site, at least the ones you think you will use. I had never even seen them there! Boy, I wish I had had them last trip.

The little red Paris Par Arrondissements that I had back in the 60s had the routes printed in the back--came in very handy.
Old Jun 30th, 2003, 12:55 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I realy like the Knopf City Map Guides Paris the city in section by section fold out maps .includes mini guide for all sections. and train ,metro and bus maps.very small,light weight .map/guide book .
Old Jun 30th, 2003, 01:30 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ditto the Knopff Paris guidebook, also just bought the National Geographic Paris map - great laminated foldout, very thin and compact, with metro map. Very easy to turn to just one section.