Reload this Page >

Best Paris Hotel to walk to sites

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13th, 2002, 12:29 PM
jan

We want to go to Musee D'orsay; Louvre; Musee Rodin. Any Paris hotels w/in walking distnce?>

Old Feb 13th, 2002, 12:37 PM
Beth

My daughter and I are staying in April at the Hotel du quai Voltaire which is in the very next block from the d'Orsay directly on the Seine, across the river from the Louvre. It has had both pro and con reviews here, but we decided that the location was worth chancing. It is going to be 122 Euros per night-a bit high for a 2 star I thought, but again we want the view. (So, it's a bit higher per person than our local Quality Inn.. ) Wish I could give you the word but April isn't here yet! You shouldn't have any problem finding a hotel in that location.

Old Feb 13th, 2002, 12:47 PM
wendy

I have stayed in and recommended this hotel for many years- it isn't LUSH by ANY means, but surprisingly, it IS the ONLY hotel on the river in Paris. When I go, it isn't for a large room to lounge in, I need a comfortable bed, good shower, and breakfast served in my room.<BR><BR>You cannot beat the view, value, and location! The only drawback to some, which I find charming, is the street noise.... it is on the river across from the Louvre, and at night the river boats float down the river quietly, but the lights they use to illuminate the sights for the tourists are bright, however,... I have many fond memories of lying in bed at night, watching the glow of the lights cast projections of shadows of the weeping willow/chestnut trees and wrought iron railings across the ceiling of my room and sighed... it was wonderful! Only 2 blocks from the Musee d'Orsay and the Solferino metro, across from the Louvre, a 5 minute walk to Notre Dame, the location can't be beat.

Old Feb 13th, 2002, 12:52 PM
Beth

It was Wendy's prior recommendation that made us decide to go for this hotel. Ah, Wendy, such a review - how can I stand another 10 weeks at home? Now if I can only find a "good deal" for the airfare.

Old Feb 13th, 2002, 12:53 PM
andi

Beth,<BR><BR>I'm just curious - how old is your daughter. I'll be in Paris in April with my 13-year-old!

Old Feb 13th, 2002, 12:59 PM
Beth

{Swallow} mine is 35, and a mother herself. This is probably our last trip together for awhile - she has one toddler and another in the planning stages, so we can't ask too much of my son in law!! He did fulltime duty last August so we could go, and we didn't "finish" and are returning for a spring fling. My g-daughter is 10, and I dream of being able to afford to take her one day, except that sets a precedent for the others (2), and Grandmom is facing retirement.

Old Feb 13th, 2002, 01:04 PM
wendy

BETH! Argh! The pressure on!<BR>but I'm serious, if one isn't expecting luxury, it is fantastic for sleeping, showering, dressing and going about your way! It isn't a dive or NO WAY I'd stay there... did you request a room with a view of the river?<BR><BR>I've lived in Paris for 12 years now, and when I've either rented my apt. or had family too large in number for my apt. visit, we stay there. <BR><BR>Sandrine, the manager is wonderful... please tell her I said hello? I will be in Paris March 6th and can barely stand it... after 12 years!!!!!!! If you have ANY questions about anything, please let me know!<BR><BR>~Wendy~

Old Feb 13th, 2002, 01:06 PM
wendy

Do you already have air fare over?<BR><BR>I'm getting e-mail from American Airlines and US Airways for air over there for $260-400? Unfortunately, my ticket fell after the rates and I've never paid 650 before! Oh well... let me know!

Old Feb 13th, 2002, 06:02 PM
Beth

Thanks for the info again Wendy. We do not need luxury - clean and helpful will do. Last August we stayed in a private apartment rental that is only available when the owners are on their own French vacation (July-Aug). It was in Montparnasse near the rue Daguerre, and we loved it, but this time we want to be within walking distance of the river. And, yes, I asked for a river view and one of the top floors (but am taking my ear plugs just in case). I will say hello for you. I am monitoring Icelandic which right now has "doubles" of $200 and $250 (can you believe?) for the second party, but it falls a week short of our plans, and we can't change the departure due to work schedules and weather concerns. I keep waiting for the very next e:mail that will take us thru April 26th!! Otherwise, it looks like it will cost appx. $500 each, which is still cheaper than the $800+ for last August.