Search

Best Paradores

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2006, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Paradores

I notice some posters have a goal of visiting all the paradors. That's not in the cards for me, but if you made a list of the top ten paradores, what would they be?

Old Jul 10th, 2006, 12:40 PM

ttt
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 02:02 PM

Hi , I dislike the idea of list of the best...but I can tell you a few I liked best of the ones I stayed in.

The order is of no consequence,

1) Jaen, at top of the mountain, next door to the old castle. Fantastic view from the rooms with a little terrace. Good rest.

2) Idem, for Cardona is similar.

3) Los Reyes Catolicos in Santiago de Compostela,
full of history, amazing place.

4)Granada, the locatioin makes it special

5)Guadalupe, next to Monasterio, a fascinating place.

6) Baiona, great view of the ocean hit hard the rocks from the room 's big window

7) Alarcon, a wonderful castle

8) Ubeda, a Bishop's palace, great food. Providing you get a good room. Some face interior patios.

well, most of the paradores are great.
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 02:09 PM

i have stayed at many over the years, and always stop for coffee break when we can, but have found santiago de compostela fabulous, leon also, the alhambra granada parador, oropesa is quite a sight from a distance at night lit up.. alarcon is on my way to madrid.. and am rarely too tired for the very short detour to stop there.

malaga's parador perched above the bullring is in a great location, as is aiguablava on the costa brava.

and i have always wanted to go to OLITE.

i don't know if you will find someone who has actually been to them all to make this judgement, but from the book i have.. either the location is great, (and the building merely functional..) or they are historic palatial homes, convents or castles .

don't know what i did to my post before.. !
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 02:27 PM

I loved the Parador in León and in Cangas de Onís (in the Picos de Europa area).
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 03:11 PM

I certainly haven't stayed in them all, but would like to someday but I LOVED Leon--was so magical I felt it was worth the trip there alone for the feeling of having stepped back in time, and Avila as well for being apart of the ancient wall and Segovia, which was very sleek and modern, for the view of the cathedral and alcazar. I've been so impressed with the quality of the paradores and will plan to stay in them as often as I can.
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 06:14 PM
rex

Additional amplification of the orginal, posted separately on another thread:

===============================

Author: holakjs
Date: 07/10/2006, 09:49 pm

Some of the Fodors posters have a goal of visiting all the paradores. I'd love to but not in my lifetime; however, I would like to have the best ones pointed out to me so I can make my own list and try to visit them. Please rate the 10 best paradors for whatever you choose. For example, Overall 10 Best, 10 Best Locations, near great monumental areas, 10 Best Vacation Spots by Themselves, etc.

==================================

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 08:31 PM

Hi, Yes ! you are right, I have forgotten Leon, it is manificent and I loved the city too.The parador being on the road to Santiago is not that good located though.
Olite , I also would like to stay there, ...in summary most Paradores are excellent. Breakfasts are always good and restaurants vary, sometimes are very good.Ubeda being my favorite.
It is good to point out that they offer several different kind of promotions and very often it is possible to stay in them at big savings.
"Años Dorados" gets 35% off the rack rate+ breakfast if one of the persons in the same room is a senior, Pasaportes if you stay in different paradores etc. also gets a good discount.
. THe Spaniards have proved to be much clever than the Portuguese because they do not extend their promotions to any one out of the European Union which I think is a pitty. THe Spanish generosity is a plus to visit this amazing country
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 06:52 AM
capote

hi
here's a link to all the paradores:
http://destinia.com/hotels/paradores/en
my personal faves are ronda and leon.

Old Jul 11th, 2006, 07:07 AM

Of the ones we stayed at, I was especially touched by Merida and Cazorla.

Merida used to be a convent, and while perhaps not as historic or as beautiful as some others, I found it to have it's own magic.

The parador in Cazorla is not historic, but nestled quite a ways into a natural park, it is more remote and more romantic than the others. It has more of a feeling of staying at a country estate than at a hotel, which was a bit of twist on the whole parador experience.

The parador in Cuenca is quite an interesting experience as well!

What is unique about the paradors is, even though the service received is fairly uniform, each place has its own identity to explore!
Old Jul 14th, 2006, 06:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for answering. I guess I was quite confused on how to find my question once it got down in the pile so to speak. I do appear your knowledge...and patience.
Old Jul 14th, 2006, 07:02 PM

One of the best is Palacio De La Merced, Burgos.
Old Jul 15th, 2006, 04:26 AM
Original Poster

I appreciate your recommendations, and I ran right to a Paradors hard cover book I have. And all the paradors you mentioned are featured in a special way. Now I will check the one in Burgos.

I really want to jump on the Paradors trail. I love the benefits listed on their site both for Edad Dorada and the Dream Week, but I wonder how possible it is to parador-hop with public transportation. I just hate to drive, and my husband loves the trains. I do too, but not as much. The bus isn't particularly fun, but I could do that.

Have all of you driven to your favorite parador? Has anyone used just public transport? Thanks
Old Jul 15th, 2006, 04:32 AM

I would think you could use public transport more easily to some than to others. Santiago, for example, is in the center of the city, as are a few others. With persistence I am sure they are all accessible by bus if you are prepared to do lots of planning. I particularly liked Santiago and Cangas del Onis; also Arcos. Jarandilla is quite spectacular, too.
Old Jul 15th, 2006, 05:24 AM

As Ekscrunchy says, many of the paradores are in the cities, such as Leon, Santiago de Compostela, Zamora (lovely building, but restaurant is not terrific), Granada (right in the Alhambra grounds).

The best place to research them is at

www.parador.es
Old Jul 15th, 2006, 05:43 AM

I've only ever stayed in one - how I came to do so might make you laugh.

Well - I'd hired a car to drive from Valencia to Barcelona - on the less travelled route. I left Morella and headed off towards Mirambel. Afterwards I headed back towards the coast with no idea where I was going to spend the night. I thought I'd just find somewhere on the way that looked interesting.

Anyway I found myself in Tortosa. Parked the car, and went looking for a hotel. Found nothing - hadn't a guide book - no idea really. Getting dark - getting anxious - got back in the car - started to drive - what to do? Then I saw the sign to the parador.

It's a long uphill climb; then through the stone arch to what I believe was once the site of a fortress. The view is amazing.

So in I went. Said that I knew I was probably in the wrong place - that a parador was not within my budget - and could they point me in the direction of somewhere that was.

They were brilliant. Gave me a room at seniors' rate (I don't qualify just yet) for about 60 euros.

It was bliss.

Lovely room; fabulous bathroom; balcony - what more could you want?

And when I went out to find something to eat I was drawn to the park in the centre of town. Obviously something going on - turned out to be the last night of the city's annual fiesta. Tables under the trees and a long bench set up serving home cooked food.

I didn't stop long the next day - places to go; deadlines to meet. But I will always remember the kindness and warm welcome at my only parador.
Old Jul 15th, 2006, 07:36 AM

All my travels in Spain I have done by public transport ) mainly coach bus, very comfortable. All the Paradores I have gone to, including the one in Cangas de Onís I have been able to travel to the main city or nearby town and then get a cab to the Parador.

Since I have only been to a few I can't say thet you could do this for all of them. I would send the specific Parador you are interested in an e-mail and ask them if it's feasible.
Old Jul 15th, 2006, 01:59 PM

Hi, I made a mistake, Pousadas in Portugal offer also discount for all seniors. Good news.
I appologize but I honest believe discount was limited to EU citizens.
Old Jul 15th, 2006, 02:06 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Like another OP, I've only stayed at one once - and that was the one in Leon. It's an old monastery complete with cloisters. It's the only night I have ever spent on pure linen sheets [unbelievably cool] and at the time, it was sheer luxury for the sake of £50. Shows how long ago it was. [20 years+] THe restaurant was good too, and surprisingly good value.
Old Aug 5th, 2006, 03:52 PM

Hi holakjs,
Just noticed this question in our favorite "Pedraza..." thread, and I realized I had never answered.

Of those Paradors where I've stayed (and I've been on the Parador "project" since '70) these are my 10 + 1 favorites, not necessarily in order of preference.

Hostal de los Reyes Católicos, Santiago
(as a poor student, I thought I had died and gone to heaven!)

Hostal de San Marcos, León

Parador San Francisco, Granada

Parador Conde de Gondomar, Baiona

Parador de Cangas de Onís

Parador Virrey de Toledo, Oropesa

Parador de Alarcón

Parador de Sigüenza

Parador El Emperador, Hondarribia

Parador Condestable Dávalos, Ubeda

Parador Gil Blas, Santillana del Mar

If you have a chance to stop for coffee or a meal in a Parador on your next trip, please do sign up for the free Amigos frequent guest program, not necessarily to earn or redeem points, but to receive their quarterly bulletin with special offers. When I open my bulletin, I pounce on them trying to make our itinerary fit these deals. It has great two nights for the price of one, three nights for two, free lunch or dinner thrown in specials and discounts of from 20 to even 50% only available to Amigos. Plus Amigos receive a free welcome drink and free garage parking (particularly welcome on wkds. when all the outside spaces are taken when we pull in). It can make some of these wonderful lodgings very, very affordable! For example, this month there's a 2 X 1 offer at Lerma's and Ubeda's ducal palace paradors, which are gorgeous.

Just a thought...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -