Reload this Page >

BEST OF THE BEST IN SCOTLAND

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16th, 2001, 11:04 AM
ScotlandLad

If Ireland can have it's own posting, I think Scotland deserves the same. Please share some of your favorite memories of time spent in Scotland. <BR> <BR>Just to start everyone off - I loved the gof courses. It was a dream come true to play a round at where golf originated!

Old Mar 16th, 2001, 11:30 AM
Shane

For me it was arriving in Edinburgh. It was my first (and so far, only) trip to Europe. Our plane landed in Glasgow before we took the train to Edinburgh. Now you have to picture this, we just arrived on an overnight flight with little sleep. We're trying to keep our eyes open a little on the train (without much success). <BR> <BR>After the 50 minute train ride we arrive in Edinburgh at the train station. With a little confusion we finally decide to go up to Princes Street. Walking up all those stairs, anticipation building, seeing the top of the Waverly Hotel... hard to believe we were finally here!! <BR> <BR>Finally, at the top of the stairs is Princes Street. Double decker buses are going by (from right to left)... We look to our left and we see the Sir Walter Raleigh monument and further up on the hill, the Edinburgh Castle!! We had finally arrived!! <BR> <BR>For me, it's hard to beat that for the best in Scotland.

Old Mar 16th, 2001, 11:40 AM
Danna

Kirkcudbright, the Galleries, Stewartry Museum, the Masonic Arms Pub and mostly the people. Logan Botanical Garden, near Port Logan, amazing garden specializing in Southern Hemishphere plants, Tree Lilies, Palm Trees! Rhododendrums that are 8 feet tall! But overall the friendliest people we met!

Old Mar 16th, 2001, 11:50 AM
Cara

I'd have to agree that the architecture in Edinburgh was breath-taking. I stayed at the Old Waverly Hotel and the view from my window included the skyline of the Old City. The castle was up on the hilltop and the Sir Walter Raleigh monument sat directly across from my window. Having done extensive international travel, Scotland ranks as one of my favorite destinations!

Old Mar 16th, 2001, 11:54 AM
valerie

Shane I'm glad you enjoyed "Auld Reekie"but I think you meant to say Sir Walter Scott monument.

Old Mar 16th, 2001, 12:00 PM
Diana

Passing the darling Highland calves on the side of the road near Urqhart Castle.

Old Mar 16th, 2001, 12:19 PM
Tina

Drinking the most delicious hot chocolate with peppermint flavored marshmallows at a pub in Iverness with the fire roaring in the background.

Old Mar 16th, 2001, 12:31 PM
xxx

So is it the Walter Scott or the Walter Raliegh monument that sits across from the train station? While I was there, I heard both names used - seems that no one knows the truth. Anyone know for sure?

Old Mar 16th, 2001, 12:47 PM
KT

Absoluteley 100% sure it's Walter Scott. Usually just referred to as the Scott Monument

Old Mar 16th, 2001, 12:53 PM
Shane

I just double-checked. It is the Sir Walter Scott Monument.... my apologies.....

Old Mar 16th, 2001, 12:59 PM
KT

And, yes, I can spell "absolutely." I can't type, though. <BR> <BR>Some of my best Scottish memories: <BR> <BR>After arriving in Edinburgh at night on my first trip out of the US, about to spend a year studying there, waking up in a university residence hall overlooking Holyrood park with seagulls flying, sheep grazing, and golfers. <BR> <BR>The view over the Cuillins from Elgol, Skye, with a storm threatening. <BR> <BR>Crawling into Maes Howe cairn with just a friend a flashlight back in the 70's before they'd done anything there in the way of tourist amenities. <BR> <BR>The Kilmartin valley on a sunny day. <BR> <BR>Days on the west coast near Gairloch and Torridon. <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 16th, 2001, 01:09 PM
Tammy

I just used my last bathbomb last night from my recent visit to LUSH in Edinburgh. Seems like a great excuse to head back and load up on more. If you're going to be in Edinburgh, make sure to stop by the store (on Princes Street next to the Old Waverly Hotel) and pick up some handmade bubblebath bars. They're wonderful!

Old Mar 16th, 2001, 01:17 PM
C327

The candybar bubblebath bars at LUSH are the best - what a heavenly scent to relax in a hot bath. I can't wait to get back there for more!

Old Mar 16th, 2001, 01:50 PM
xxx

I was amazed by all of the wonderful Italian restaurants that I found in Edinburgh. Great food, but with the luxury of English speaking waiters!

Old Mar 16th, 2001, 02:22 PM
Danna

xxx just reminded me, Stac Polly restaurant, there are 2, we went to the one on Dublin St. Heavenly food!

Old Mar 16th, 2001, 02:29 PM
Joanna

GLEN COE - what beauty, and what a feeling it leaves you with. I remember visiting there as a child with my Mom and had to bring my own children and husband there a few years ago. There is just something about the spot. My "scottish roots" just keep pulling me back. Scotland is a magical place - I am anxious to get to Shetland where my grandmother is from. Has anyone been there????

Old Mar 16th, 2001, 05:24 PM
Judy

The breathtaking,solitary beauty of highland sceneries on the way hiking from Fort William to Ben Nevis.

Old Mar 16th, 2001, 06:50 PM
Chelsea

High Tea at one of the fancy hotels along Princes Street is the best way to spend an afternoon.

Old Mar 16th, 2001, 09:27 PM
xxx

The Highlands and Loch Ness were far more beautiful than anything I could imagine. While I went in January and missed the greenery, I found the snow capped hills to be perfect. No trip to Scotland would be complete without a trip out to see this beautiful countryside. Glen Coe was just awe-inspiring.

Old Mar 17th, 2001, 07:23 AM
Tad

The people were some of the friendliest that I've ever met (even better than the Irish). I met a couple in a pub one night and was invited back to their home the next night for dinner. The food was great and I felt so welcome in their charming home. Where in the States would you find such friendly people - or so trusting to invite a stranger over for a meal?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -