Best Mom and Pop Restaurants - Venice, Florence, Rome

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25th, 2003, 12:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where do you go to get the best meal in each of these cities? I've said mom & pop because we aren't the food snob type - I'm thinking the best food may be small out of the way spots where the locals eat.
Old Feb 25th, 2003, 12:40 PM

In Florence, definately go to Trattoria Le Mossacce on the Via Del Proconsolo (just down the street from the Doumo.) Communal tables where you'll either be next to a tourist or the local bus driver. Excellant for really hearty, Tuscan cuisine at very reasonable prices.
Old Feb 25th, 2003, 12:46 PM
cd

I know this is a Foders site, but I would suggest Frommers guide on each of these cities. (go to the library and look at it to see if you want to buy it, or take it out and zerox the pages your interested in )We took his book with us and found the best restaurant in Venice with only about 5 tables, Pop was the wait staff and Mom did the cooking and it was wonderful!
Old Feb 25th, 2003, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

cd,do you remember the name of Mom & Pop's restaurant - or what part of town it was in? I have the Frommer's book
Old Feb 25th, 2003, 01:40 PM

In Rome, Mario's on Via Del Moro in Trestavere. See www.francescatravel.com/rome.htm. I was taken there over 20 years ago by locals. 2 years ago when I was there with my family I somehow found it again. We ate there on a Friday night. It was loaded with Italian families. It's a great place to eat and very inexpensive.
Old Feb 25th, 2003, 02:22 PM
cd

marcellaruella<BR>I am so sorry, I don't remember. That was some yrs ago so it might not be there any longer. I do remember walking there and during our walk finding an ACTIVE parish since 450AD! The name of the parish is ST. Gaicomo Dall Orio and it was awesome to think of how many Saints worshiped in that structure over the centuries.
Old Feb 25th, 2003, 03:13 PM

In Rome try Hostaria Guilia, located at<BR>Via della Barchetta 19 (you can find it<BR>on a walking map). It is out of the way<BR>but emits all the character of Rome. The dishes are delicious and reasonably priced. Met some really nice locals there. if you do go, enjoy some pasta for me!
Old Feb 25th, 2003, 05:18 PM

The Osteria Cinghale Bianco in Florence appeared to be family owned, and lots of locals were eating there, so maybe it fits your description. Anyway, we thought the food was delicious, great ambience. On Borgo Jacopo, on &quot;other&quot; side of Arno.
Old Feb 25th, 2003, 10:36 PM

If Mamacrow is talking about the same restaurant: we went to the Taverna Guilia in Rome-it was to die for--<BR><BR>they had a dish I had never seen before--layered potatoes,cheeses,meat--like lasagna but with NO pasta-- Killer meal.....
Old Feb 26th, 2003, 03:58 AM

In Florence, try Borgo Antico, Piazza S. Spirito, not very far on the &quot;other&quot;side of the Ponte Vecchoi. We went there last Saturday night on the recommendation of some locals we met, and it was great, and lots of fun. A little band wandered in from outside, played a while.<BR>
Old Feb 26th, 2003, 05:10 AM
Original Poster

I'm salivating already! Any additional killer spots in the Tuscan Countryside - chianti, Siena, or S' Quirico d'Orcia?
Old Feb 26th, 2003, 09:14 AM

Hi<BR>here's another for Rome<BR>do a search on this message board, or go to the restaurant Rants and Raves comments elsewhere here on fodors.com<BR>Look up La Tartaruga. I gave my rave comments, so did others who went there before and after me.<BR><BR>It is small, a little out of the way, family-owned, excellent food. It was worth two or three times the price I paid imo. ABout a 15 minute walk from Piazza Navona or the Pantheon.<BR>I won't say that no other tourists know about it, but it is far from being a tourist-oriented spot.<BR>
Old Feb 26th, 2003, 12:12 PM

In Chianti-Try La Frattoria just off the Autostrada(Tavarnelle exit).The grilled filet mignon with a portabello mushroom on top is delicious! We ate here twice while staying in Chianti and sat among the locals. Great food and lots of it.Noisy,friendly..it reminded us of a &quot;roadhouse&quot;.<BR><BR>While not a Mom&amp;Pop place..more upscale but still out of the way was the Osteria di Passignano in Badia a Passignano. This was one of the best meals we had in three weeks in Italy. Dinner for two with a good bottle of Antinori wine was 91 euros. Telephone: 0558071278. I had my first florentine steak here along with some gnocchietti with shaved porcinis in a sauce the angels certainly must have had a hand in!<BR><BR>Venice-try Ae Oche. It's a student place definitely out of the way from tourists and has pizza at least 50 ways. I had a great arugula,speck and brie pizza there big enough for two people for 6 euros. Wander around in Campo Santa Margherita. We loved the feel of this place and you can find some greatlocal places here. Check out Margaret DuChamp. It's a trendy bar in Campo Santa Margherita where you can also get cafe.
Old Feb 26th, 2003, 12:14 PM

Whoops almost forgot to recommend Osteria Logge in Siena. Not inexpensive but good and filled with locals.