Best mode of transport-Bellagio to Milan, for int'l flight to US

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5th, 2019, 08:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be traveling on a Monday. Train or private car? We are 4 people. What would you recommend as the options for travel to the Milan Airport? Ease v. hassle? We won't have a ton of bags. We enjoy train travel. Is there "rush hour" traffic to deal with near the Milan Airport? (I'm from New York, I can't help but ask.) Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 5th, 2019, 09:47 AM

Private car would surely be more comfortable and quicker, easier and the cost may not be too prohibitive divided by 4.

Or take a ferry to Varenna and train via Milano. Cheap and avoids rush our traffic, but you should still allow some safety puffer in case of delayed trains(same with a car of course).
Old Nov 5th, 2019, 11:14 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
What time is the flight? And what time of year (because frequency of ferry service is seasonal)?

If your check-in time would be super early, I wouldn't think about anything but a private driver or taxi.

If check-in would be later in the day, you could consider a leisurely boat ride to Como and then train to Malpensa.
Old Nov 5th, 2019, 11:51 AM

If my check-in time would be super early I'd rather spend the last night in an airport hotel or at least in Milan.

"If check-in would be later in the day, you could consider a leisurely boat ride to Como and then train to Malpensa."

That's a great idea, better than taking a ferry to Varenna, because there are so many tunnels on the railway that it's hard to enjoy the views of the lake from a train.
Old Nov 5th, 2019, 03:25 PM

There are more expert travelers here, but this might be what I would tell a friend:

Make sure that you can get a train from Varenna or Como to the airport. Most trains will go to Milano Centrale, then you will need to build in the hour or so to get the train to the airport.

The ferry ride down the lake to Como might be lovely, but will be slow if you want a view or pleasant experience. The faster boat will be a very noisy, rather smelly and on a view-less hydro sort of thing. IME, almost sickening.

I'm sure there are more factors to consider, but a driver for four sounds best to me.
Old Nov 6th, 2019, 05:56 AM

As above. Tell us at which time you must be at the airport.
Without this datas, it' impossible to find the best solution among

Bellagio - aliscafo or bus - Como,
train Como - Varese - MXP,
train Como - Saronno - MXP
Bellagio - aliscafo - Cernobbio - taxi - Chiasso - bus - MXP