Best milan hotel for one night?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 06:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the last night of our italian vacation this summer is in milan. We arrive by train from venice in the afternoon and leave via plane from malpensa airport the next afternoon. We are looking for that perfect last hotel in a memorable neighborhood. We don't plan to spend any time sightseeing (with the possible exception of the Last supper)and convenience to Cadorna station is preferable. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 06:55 PM

Someone I know chose Antica Locanda da Leonardo in a nice, central Milan district. http://www.anticalocandaleonardo.com/en/index.htm
Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 08:23 PM

I would stay at the Gran Duca di York (probably because I have stayed there before!). They will call a quick taxi to take you to Cardona if you don't want to walk. You can visit the Pinacoteca Ambrosiana which is around the other corner, and Peck, also nearby, and check out the Duomo! I would have my last meal at Trattoria Milanese, which is around the corner. How is that for one last afternoon/night?

My second choice would be the Hotel Gritti, in the same general vicinity.

http://www.ducadiyork.com/home.htm
http://www.hotelgritti.com/

Enjoy!
Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 11:28 PM

I would go to Stresa on Magiore Lake. It is closer to Malpeensa than Milan. It is a beautiful small town, splendide views of the Lake and islands. There are very good hotels and restaurants there. You can go there by train from Milan.
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 01:21 AM

I always stay at the Hotel Sara, Via Sacchini, 17 (Tel 01 39 02 201773 www.hotelsara.it). It is a family-owned hotel with room rates varying from 50-100 euros/night for double rooms with bath, dependent on high or low season and including breakfast in the morning. (I stayed twice this last year, paying 50 euros cash both times for a double room & bath in February and in May). The Hotel Sara is in a nice neighborhood down the block from the Piazza Loreto and within easy walking distance to the main boulevard, Corso Buenos Aires. There are a lot of local restaurants and pizzerias around the area that are quite good.

You could easily take a Metro over to the Cadorna station. Likewise, the hotel is accessible via tram #33 from the Milano Centrale station or the Metro (Loreto stop). For convenience purposes, I took a taxi from the hotel to the Milano train station (7 mins, 10 euros) and then caught the Malpensa Shuttle direct to the Malpensa airport for 5 euros/ticket, which enabled me to catch my return flight home in plenty of time.