Reload this Page >

Best location on Lago Di Garda???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 09:35 AM
Noel Abela

I will be visiting Lago di Garda in August for 5 days and I am still undecided which place to stay. <BR>I will have my own transport and travelling with my family. <BR>your suggestions and experiances will be very much appreciated. <BR> <BR>Best regards <BR> <BR>Noel Abela

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 11:07 AM
Graziella

Hi Noel, I do not know if this is the best location but it was a good location, specially with a family. <BR>It was in Garda, but not in Garda properly but 3 minutes up a hill by car over looking Garda.LocationAlbisano. <BR>We stayed also five days . We stayed in a Radisson SAS hotel, the location was great, great view, nice pool, they have only suites but are not expensive. Great , great breakfast included. ( Restaurante at night is more international than Italian ) but on the whole we enjoyed it very much.I would return there , <BR>Radisson SAS HOTEL TORRI del garda <BR>39 045 629 6755 they offer different specials depending of day of week, some with American Plan. Good luck. Also rates for seniors.

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 11:23 AM
Bob

The weather on Lago di Garda can be very different in Riva del Garda in the north than it is in Sirmione in the south (cooler in the north which can be a plus in August) so the location depends somewhat on what you want to do (e.g., swim or sightsee). I prefer the northern towns of Riva and Limone but there's no right answer because so many of the towns around the lake are so beautiful and different. I would recommend that you stay in a town that has ferry service so that it's easy to get around to the other towns on the lake (you can drive but traffic can be problematic during the tourist season). Hotel Europa in Riva is convenient for this purpose but parking may be a problem. Here are some web sites to do some research on the different towns: "http://www.gardainforma.com/english/homeng.htm" and "http://www.telmec.it/Home_uk.htm" Good luck!

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 12:56 PM
s

Each city around the lake has its own flavor. Do not miss sirmione, located at south of the lake. Malchesine is a nice and cute town, located at center Esat side of the lake. Try Casa Katy (bed & breakfast), located up on the hill, overlooking town and the lake. Have fun.

Old Mar 16th, 2001, 01:06 AM
Steve James

Hello Noel, <BR> <BR>Like Bob my choice would be one of the northern towns. At the northern end the mountains rise straight up from the lake, - really dramatic scenery! <BR> <BR>Both Riva and Limone are lovely. Riva is the larger of the two, and would be my choice. <BR> <BR>Steve <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 18th, 2001, 01:32 AM
ralf

Hi Noel, <BR>like the others I will suppose the northern little towns like malcesine.Our favorite hotel is the "Hotel Bellevue San Lorenzo" in Malcesine. It is situated a little bit outside the town in a lovely park on a hillsite with a beautiful view over the lake and the mountains. www.malcesine.com/bellevue <BR>Have a nice time.

Old Mar 19th, 2001, 02:59 AM
col

Have stayed in Malcesine 3 times superb location,easy access to ferrys. Can reccomend Hotel Du Lac 10 minuite stroll along lakeside to town,or Hotel Vega right in town on lake side.(Vega probably my favourite) <BR> Enjoy!

Old Mar 19th, 2001, 07:28 AM
KACE

We stayed in Limone in October, 1999. The weather was gorgeous, the crowds gone, and we had a fabulous time. Limone is small, but totally charming with nice shops and restaurants. In addition, the drive up there was amazing. <BR> <BR>Enjoy!

Old Mar 20th, 2001, 01:33 PM
Jane B

Would Lago Di Garda be a good family destination? I want to go to Italy, but can only get free tix into Milan. The lakes sound interesting, but Lake Como sound too 'romantic' for a trip with active teenagers. Any hints? We like tennis, water sports and hiking. <BR>The other alternative is to head for The Riviera, but I'm afraid I will be disappointed in the beaches. (My hubby wants Hawaii, but I am tired of just 'beach ' vacations--I'd like some history, culture, and a european flair. <BR> <BR>Suggestions?

Old Mar 20th, 2001, 02:10 PM
Bob

Jane <BR> <BR>The northern part of Lago di Garda is used for windsurfing (see "http://www.gardainforma.com/english/sporteng.htm"), there are lots of opportunities for hiking (including in the nearby dolomites), history and culture is available both at places around the lake or in nearby Verona; I'd say it's a good fit. Try to fly into Bergamo or Verona if your free tickets allow it because it's much more convenient than Malpensa or Linate airports.